sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 1, 2023 8:32 pm  #1

CTV Reporter Seriously Injured Covering A Crash Near Guelph

CTV reporter/videographer Stephanie Villella was struck by a vehicle while covering a crash south of Guelph today. More from CTV Kitchener..https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/ctv-reporter-struck-by-vehicle-while-covering-crash-south-of-guelph-1.6295045

March 1, 2023 8:48 pm  #2

Re: CTV Reporter Seriously Injured Covering A Crash Near Guelph

What a terribly sad story. I'm sure we all have high hopes for Stephanie's recovery. 

You don't often think about the dangers camera people face while out on shoots. Most of them are so focused on getting the shot, they sometimes forget about how perilous the job can sometimes be. Another who suffered life changing injuries was the great Bill Atanasoff, a terrific camera guy who worked for City TV. 

He was hit by a drunk driver while shooting a story in 2010, and suffered life altering injuries that left him bed-ridden, a quadriplegic and blind. He was in hospital for four years. His life was forever changed by that tragedy and it ended his career and destroyed the lives of those around him.

So while the Kitchener accident was a terrible tragedy, let's hope it's also the very last one we ever have to report here. 

March 1, 2023 8:53 pm  #3

I was watching this and my heart goes out to Stephanie Villella's family and the CTV Kitchener team.

I remember her covering stories in my local town where I live and she went to Fanshawe Collage to study journalism. She was also a reporter at an another CTV station somewhere like in Saskatchewan I cannot remember. Hope she recovers soon.

March 1, 2023 10:42 pm  #4

RadioActive wrote:

What a terribly sad story. I'm sure we all have high hopes for Stephanie's recovery. 

You don't often think about the dangers camera people face while out on shoots. Most of them are so focused on getting the shot, they sometimes forget about how perilous the job can sometimes be. Another who suffered life changing injuries was the great Bill Atanasoff, a terrific camera guy who worked for City TV. 

He was hit by a drunk driver while shooting a story in 2010, and suffered life altering injuries that left him bed-ridden, a quadriplegic and blind. He was in hospital for four years. His life was forever changed by that tragedy and it ended his career and destroyed the lives of those around him.

So while the Kitchener accident was a terrible tragedy, let's hope it's also the very last one we ever have to report here. 

Could not read the full story

March 1, 2023 10:48 pm  #5

I didn't encounter any paywall when I went to this old (2015) story, but perhaps it was just me. Sorry you had trouble. 

Try this link instead.
https://clearthis.page/?u=https://torontosun.com/2015/11/21/thousands-needed-for-care-of-badly-injured-cameraman 

March 2, 2023 5:30 pm  #6

My sympathies to the young lady and loved ones. It goes without saying that first responders and tow truck operators face the prospect at every crash scene of being injured or worse. I just retired from the towing industry after spending 23 years between part and full time of putting my self in precarious situations to make a dollar. By the grace of the Good Lord ,I was never seriuosly hurt, I did have a black Dodge Ram brush me with the passenger mirror once, it left a bruise,   but I knew guys that were hurt bad.  There is on  average, a tow truck driver killed in  North America every week. Please, slow down  and move over, after all, it is the law ! 

Last edited by mic'em (March 2, 2023 5:37 pm)

April 29, 2023 5:35 pm  #7

The 92 driver from Guelph has been charged for careless driving causing bodily harm in connection to the crash that injured CTV Kitchener reporter Stephanie Villella back in March.

https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/opp-charge-driver-in-crash-that-injured-ctv-reporter-stephanie-villella-1.6376985

Last edited by haydenmatthews14 (April 29, 2023 5:36 pm)