sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 26, 2023 2:42 pm  #1

Incredible Incompetence As Jays TV Audio Airs Again On The Radio

On Saturday, the first Jays pre-season game involved Ben Wagner doing a radio-only game on the Fan 590. But on Sunday, with the match vs. the Yankees also on Sportsnet cable, it appears the TV audio, featuring Wagner and Buck Martinez, was back on the radio, which proved to be unwieldy last year and was eventually abandoned. 

Not only were they simulcasting television on the radio but they don't appear to have the timing worked out, with the audio broadcast continually coming back after a spot break with the play-by-play crew already in mid-sentence. 

I know they're not planning on sending Wagner to away games during the regular season, which many here feel is a mistake. But to go back to this scenario is a terrible decision, even for spring training. TV and radio are two very different animals when it comes to sports broadcasting, and becomes especially noticeable when we're reminded that you can "see" where that pitch went. 

For those of us on ears only, no, you can't. I hope this isn't a preview of what to expect once things begin in earnest.  

February 26, 2023 4:42 pm  #2

Re: Incredible Incompetence As Jays TV Audio Airs Again On The Radio

Update: I just came back from walking the dog and was listening to the Jays game on the Fan. 

Or at least I was trying to listen to the Jays game.

What I heard instead was simply mind boggling. At the start of what should have been an inning, both Ben and Buck started talking to Jays' newcomer Kevin Kiermaier, ex-of the Tampa Bay Rays.

Nothing wrong with that, except they talked and talked and talked and talked and talked for at least 15 minutes straight, during which time they made absolutely no reference to the game itself. You could hear on the radio in the background batters being introduced, umpires calling a strike, the sound of a bat hitting a ball, the occasional roar of the crowd, what I presume to be a few balls being fouled off and more. 

But not once - not once - in all that time did they talk about what was happening on the field. You know, the whole purpose of them actually being at the game itself. They finally asked Kiermaier every question possible besides "what's your favourite colour?" then threw to a break.

When they came back - again, in the middle of a sentence - it was mid-inning (I have no idea which one) and the Yankees had the bases loaded and could have blown the game wide open. There was no reference to how many outs there were or who was up to bat or even what happened during that too long interview.

I can only presume they showed the action on screen while the talkfest was going on, so viewers at home at least could follow the play. Look, I know this is only spring training, but what a complete disservice to anyone who tuned in on the radio. And that's why this plan of Rogers will never, ever work.

What I heard on Sunday was unbelievably dumb and incredibly incompetent. I hope they don't do it again.

But it won't surprise me if they do. 

February 26, 2023 4:47 pm  #3

I've been watching on TV and wondered when that interview was on whether you were listening. Definitely wouldn't have worked at all.

February 26, 2023 5:18 pm  #4

It would have been fine post-game but on the radio, it was interminable - especially when you could hear the game going on underneath it. It was the radio equivalent of a middle finger to listeners.

February 26, 2023 6:12 pm  #5

But how much money did Rogers save?

February 26, 2023 6:36 pm  #6

Ale Ont wrote:

But how much money did Rogers save?

Never enough. They will continually chase the dragon.

February 26, 2023 7:29 pm  #7

I was listening online and after I heard a few balls and strikes being ignored I went to the Mets vs. the Nationals.  

Hey Rogers, if you don't care about me as a fan I don't have to listen to your team.  There are 29 more and most of them aren't as cheap as you.

February 26, 2023 8:25 pm  #8

I can only remember one time there was anything like this. And I think it was before Rogers took over (and some would say ruined) City TV. For one brief pre-season, Channel 57 managed to get the rights to a few Jays pre-season games. They promised they were "going to do it differently, with City creativity."

Boy, did they do it differently, alright. They showed about 3 live innings of a pre-season match in Dunedin and then for reasons that are still completely inexplicable, cut away to air pre-taped interviews with players, live chats with the people selling refreshments, a pre-recorded tour of the stadium, Kathryn Humphreys doing shtick with the crowd, etc. etc. all while the game was still going on. 

My memory is a bit hazy on this, but I'm not sure if they ever actually showed the end of the contest. I remember watching some of this and practically screaming at the set, "What about the game!"

Clearly they didn't think it was all that important, despite somehow snagging the rights to it. 

It pissed me off so much that to this day, I still remember that coverage. Or more correctly, the lack of it.  

It reminds me a lot of Sunday's radio coverage - an opportunity wasted.

February 26, 2023 8:50 pm  #9

The brief time I tuned in they were interviewing John Schneider and again, basically ignored what was going on in the game. It was not play-byplay, it was interview whomever.

February 26, 2023 8:55 pm  #10

Maybe the Jays' skipper should have given the broadcast the Heimlich Maneuver, to try to save the coverage from choking.

February 26, 2023 9:41 pm  #11

I would assume that, during the regular season, Dan Shulman and Buck Martinez (for the majority of the time) will call the game on TV and Ben Wagner will have the radio call. But, since this is Rogers, we're talking about, nothing will surprise me.

Maybe that AI radio thing they've been testing can call baseball games too...