sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 22, 2023 3:52 pm  #1

Corus rebrands a couple of kids channels

Teletoon will become Cartoon Network Canada.

The current Cartoon Network will become Boomerang

Starting March 27th

https://www.corusent.com/news/corus-entertainment-delivers-audiences-an-unbeatable-kids-channel-portfolio-with-rebranded-networks/

Last edited by andysradio (February 22, 2023 3:52 pm)

February 22, 2023 4:11 pm  #2

Re: Corus rebrands a couple of kids channels

We already had Teletoon Retro Canada. That was shut down. What will make Boomerang Canada any better than what Teletoon Retro once was?  

I do love classic cartoons, I just fail to understand why Teletoon Retro was shut down if Boomerang Canada is a great idea?

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

February 22, 2023 4:25 pm  #3

Same with Comedy Gold.  I really liked that channel but it wasn't that popular and was ditched years ago.  The only thing I didn't like about it was they would usually feature one show on the weekend.  So if you weren't a fan of Three's Company you were out of luck all day Saturday and Sunday. On the other hand if you enjoyed Mary Tyler Moore you lucked out.   As a plus Comedy Gold showed SCTV for years and vintage SNL. Maybe Bell should try a rebrand and bring it back. 

February 22, 2023 5:52 pm  #4

I wouldn’t have really called Teletoon a kids channel; I used to watch Family Guy and Robot Chicken on that channel. Maybe that was just in evenings.

February 22, 2023 6:07 pm  #5

MJ Vancouver wrote:

I wouldn’t have really called Teletoon a kids channel; I used to watch Family Guy and Robot Chicken on that channel. Maybe that was just in evenings.

Yes. That was just in evenings, often after 9 or 10 pm at night. 
Family guy does air earlier on Adult swim, if desired.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

February 23, 2023 9:18 pm  #6

Radiowiz wrote:

We already had Teletoon Retro Canada. That was shut down. What will make Boomerang Canada any better than what Teletoon Retro once was?  

I do love classic cartoons, I just fail to understand why Teletoon Retro was shut down if Boomerang Canada is a great idea?

I'm willing to bet Boomerang Canada will not be like our former Teletoon Retro provided this new channel clones its American counterpart (which is likely).

Boomerang U.S. USED to be a hub for classic cartoons. But from about 2012, to the present (and it got worse when they did a "refresh" in 2015), the U.S. schedule consists of a limited batch of Looney Tunes/Tom and Jerry/Scooby Doo toons, newer spinoffs of the properties mentioned, and Cartoon Network shows no longer of value on the main network. Boomerang has been a brand on autopilot for a long time.

Which means steps down from Teletoon Retro where there was effort put into the network (especially early on.)

The only network that does classic cartoons right these days is MeTV.

Last edited by Radio.Intern (February 23, 2023 9:31 pm)