sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 8, 2023 8:29 am  #1

New U.K. Radio Station Playing Every Charted Record From 1952-1999

Retro Charts Radio has been launched in the U.K. with a unique mission. It plans to play every single record that ever charted in Britain, from 1952-1999, until they've all been aired. How long it takes to play all 15,275 of them and what happens afterward isn't clear, but it's a pretty ambitious plan that could take a very long time - especially since the station is only operating from 8 AM -11 PM British time. 

There will almost certainly be songs unknown in North America as well as some pretty obscure tunes that only reached the lower parts of the list. 

"The radio station boasts of Bing to Bowie, Sinatra to Sinitta, Fury to Ferry and Stargazers to Starship so there is plenty for all tastes.

Andy added: “Our ‘now playing’ feature will also display the year of chart entry and its highest position. These are fascinating facts that you may enjoy and perfect if you can’t quite remember who the artist is or when they were a hit.”

An interesting idea and I wonder if anyone would consider this here using the Billboard Chart. Or maybe, even the CHUM Chart!

You can hear it for yourself online here

New station promises to play every charted record in U.K.

February 8, 2023 10:58 am  #2

Re: New U.K. Radio Station Playing Every Charted Record From 1952-1999

Is this a community radio station? They're asking for donations to stay on the air.

"Retro Charts Radio plays every single UK Top 40 hit from 1952-1999 on elimination random until they’ve all been played.On air 7 days a week from 8am – 11pm (GMT)If you’d like to donate to help us stay on air, it would be much appreciated. Thank you!DONATE VIA PAYPAL"

Last edited by Radiowiz (February 8, 2023 10:59 am)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

February 8, 2023 11:37 am  #3

I think it's a start-up/hobby for someone who used to be in radio. The fact that they're only on for limited hours tells you what you need to know. And of course, you don't have to give them anything to listen. But I think what they're doing is interesting. What happens when they've played all 15,000+ songs remains to be seen.  

February 8, 2023 12:14 pm  #4

RadioActive wrote:

I think it's a start-up/hobby for someone who used to be in radio. The fact that they're only on for limited hours tells you what you need to know. And of course, you don't have to give them anything to listen. But I think what they're doing is interesting. What happens when they've played all 15,000+ songs remains to be seen.  

It's going to take at least 56 days to run through 15,000 songs, so they may just start over.  

February 8, 2023 12:19 pm  #5

I'm a bit disappointed that they're not playing them in order, but then that wouldn't necessarily leave them with a variety of eras to spread throughout the day and would only encourage tuning for "your era." 

February 8, 2023 12:25 pm  #6

I love this idea and hope it stays on permanently. If I started up an online station, this is what I'd want to do.

There are so many great songs that barely cracked the top 30 and haven't been played since their original release. Heck, there are many songs that cracked the top 10 that never get played anymore.

It may not be everyone's cup of tea and some radio programming types may cringe when hearing Brittney Spears next to Chuck Berry... but I'll be listening. Glad someone is doing this!

February 8, 2023 12:28 pm  #7

Plus, there were tons of songs that were only hits in Britain and never made it over the pond. So there may be some wonderful stuff we've never heard here, where you can discover, in effect, "new oldies." 

February 8, 2023 12:28 pm  #8

Playing in order or random both have their advantages.  However playing in random likely will make the station sound more interesting musically and attract more listeners consistently.  If you aren't a fan of a particular era chances are you won't be listening.  Dale Patterson's Oh Wow! Songs Radio Forgot mixes up the timelines of songs and it seems to work ok. 

February 8, 2023 12:33 pm  #9

Here's what the About Us page says about the newcomer, indicating that when they're finally finished, they'll start all over again. 

"Retro Charts Radio was launched to provide listeners with a historic archive of all the UK Top 40 hits from the start of the music charts back in November 1952, right up to the last chart of 1999.

By our calculation there are 15,275 hits from that period, which will play randomly each day between the hours of 8am and 11pm. There will be no presenters, no shows, no news, no playlists, no favouritism and no exceptions. No frills, just the music!

With our elimination random system, every single hit will get a chance to be played before the whole process starts again, enabling us to give you an ‘8 Week No Repeat Guarantee’!

As you listen, you will notice that there are literally thousands of hits that you have never heard before and even more #HitsThatRadioForgot. From Bing to Bowie, Sinatra to Sinitta, Fury to Ferry and Stargazers to Starship, we have them all.

Our ‘Now Playing’ feature will also display the year of chart entry and its highest position. Fascinating facts nobody else provides on such a feature."