sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 2, 2023 12:33 am  #1

That little station by the Welland Canal...

Coming back and forth from the States, I go through St. Catharines a lot, and I'm always amused by little CFBN on 93.3, which exists just to tell drivers which bridges over the canal are closed to traffic because they're raised for freighters to pass through.

My 14 year old son, who's fascinated by lake freighters, has become CFBN's biggest US fan.

Anyway, when I passed through today on the way to and from Toronto and a visit to CJRT, I noticed 93.3 was just dead air instead of its usual short automated loop.

I hope it's back to its usual little self soon. It actually serves a useful purpose for drivers in St. Catharines who aren't up on the skyway (and for my son who wants me to drive him in the right direction to watch the freighters go through!)

February 2, 2023 12:50 am  #2

Re: That little station by the Welland Canal...

Coincidentally, CFBN were the call letters of a short-lived, low power all business format at 1280 AM out of Pearson Int'l. Airport, of all places. Ironically, it literally went out of business. After adopting the format in April 2007, it was off the air and turned in its licence by November of that same year.

February 2, 2023 8:32 am  #3

Was there a carrier present on 93.3 ?

I honestly don't know... but, is this not due to the fact that the shipping season or marine traffic on the canal / Great Lakes ended in December and will commence again at some point in early March?

February 2, 2023 8:56 am  #4

Glen Warren wrote:

Was there a carrier present on 93.3 ?

I honestly don't know... but, is this not due to the fact that the shipping season or marine traffic on the canal / Great Lakes ended in December and will commence again at some point in early March?

There was a carrier - and of course you're probably 100 percent right! It never occurred to me that they'd shut the system down when the bridges aren't opening and closing. Thanks for the sanity check.