sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 25, 2016 1:29 pm  #1

Corus really is unbelievable

Corus recently flipped the format of one of the Barrie stations, B-101 from kiddie pop to rock.   It is now BIG 101.  They are trying to go against both ROCK 95 in the market and THE DOCK.   They won't succeed.​As I was travelling today on the 400 happened to flip back and forth between BIG 101, and Q-107 in Toronto.Guess what ?  Same playlist, same songs at the same time.   This on 2 Corus owned stations a mere 100 km apart.Q comes in quite well in Barrie.  Obviously no need for a Music Director in Barrie. 

August 25, 2016 1:37 pm  #2

Re: Corus really is unbelievable

Thanks to the CRTC for making this all possible.  Diversity?  Schmyversity.

eh-holes

August 25, 2016 2:42 pm  #3

How much does it cost to press a shuffle button to at least make the music sound different on each station?
An hour later is understandable (maybe) but minutes apart? COME ON!!

Big FM Kingston is also maintaining the same playlist order, so I guess the MD there is gone too?

Last edited by Radiowiz (August 25, 2016 2:43 pm)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

August 25, 2016 3:46 pm  #4

rock 95.7 is a 400-corridor radio station.    It has the most accurate traffic reports for commuters.   While Q-107 is required to cover everywhere (401 east & west, the QEW, the 407, that dangerous 410 section  approaching Brampton), Rock 95 focuses on its family.   

God bless Rock 95.7.   

August 25, 2016 9:40 pm  #5

3 radio stations with almost identical playlists?
How do they get away with this?

August 25, 2016 10:25 pm  #6

mikew wrote:

Simple.   People in Toronto listen to  Q107.    People in Barrie listen to BIG 101 and people in Kingston listen to BIG 96.   They like it or they don't.  Someone in Kingston doesn't care about the music list in Barrie and so on.

Meanwhile 10 radio people listen to all three and get concerned,

I'm not saying it's a great idea, but one GREAT SKILLED MD is better than 3 "it's your turn to be MD, MD's"

August 26, 2016 3:25 am  #7

RadioQuiz wrote:

mikew wrote:

Simple. People in Toronto listen to Q107. People in Barrie listen to BIG 101 and people in Kingston listen to BIG 96. They like it or they don't. Someone in Kingston doesn't care about the music list in Barrie and so on.

Meanwhile 10 radio people listen to all three and get concerned,

I'm not saying it's a great idea, but one GREAT SKILLED MD is better than 3 "it's your turn to be MD, MD's"

Big FM Barrie & Q107 Toronto are too close together.  At least make it less obvious by having one station be behind the other by an hour or so. 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

August 26, 2016 8:13 am  #8

RadioQuiz posted "I'm not saying it's a great idea, but one GREAT SKILLED MD is better than 3 "it's your turn to be MD, MD's".

They can play whatever they like whenever they like as far as I'm concerned... ... ...just as long as two of them aren't covering the same audience in the same market like they will be in Barrie.  How the hell does that make any blinkin' sense?  Nobody wins.

The USELESS crtc created this mess and the ethically challenged 'broadcasting' companies have JUST BEGUN to take advantage of it.

But it's 'OK' 'cause "1 great skilled music director" has been employed?  Oh...well...in THAT case... ... ...
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By the way...I worked for companies where there was either a national PD or a regional version and the thing I noticed every time w/o fail?  Markets vary and identical playlists are a noose around the local station's neck.

Last edited by Old Codger (August 26, 2016 8:16 am)

August 26, 2016 2:18 pm  #9

Radiowiz wrote:

make it less obvious by having one station be behind the other by an hour or so

Q-107's morning show is BIG (no pun intended) up here.  Its signal is fine into Barrie & across Hwy 26 to Wasaga  but gets lost around Collingwood due to the mountain/escarpment/gravel pit ).  Competition then is 104.1 the Dock from across the bay.    

FM 95.1 the Peak peaked (still no pun intended) years ago.    Bayshore's 97.7 the Beach plays B101.1's old playlist and could benefit from the change but who knows?

k.

September 30, 2016 5:59 pm  #10

BIG 101 has been a HUGE disappointment to commuters expecting the BIG Bopper

September 30, 2016 6:06 pm  #11

Kilgore wrote:

BIG 101 has been a HUGE disappointment to commuters expecting the BIG Bopper

Are there a lot of people where you are, with exactly the same concept of what funny is,  are you schizophrenic (not that there's anything wrong with that), or do you just hate the idea that users who don't appreciate your style of funny might be able to block if you used only one name?   The last one is the one that generates the most questions to me, if you were wondering.

Enquiring minds, etc.

ig.

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

September 30, 2016 7:16 pm  #12

not a great day for rock radio