sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 13, 2023 12:07 pm  #1

Mike Stafford

This is embarrassing, but better that than going hungry. Our radio friend and colleague Mike Stafford is in serious difficulty. He has not settled his differences with Corus and has had no cash flow for two years…the cupboard is literally bare. It is not often we see this here on SOWNY but Mike could use any help you can offer. I would be happy to collect whatever you can spare ASAP…it really is that dire. If you can, please Interac me at pshurman@gmail.com and I assure you that whatever comes in will be instantly re-directed to Mike. This has been a great business full of great people. Can you assist Mike?

Peter SHURMAN 

January 13, 2023 12:35 pm  #2

Re: Mike Stafford

Have you thought about setting up a Go Fund Me page? They are often quite successful and the transactions are secure and instant. 

January 13, 2023 12:37 pm  #3

I thought I’d give this a shot first but thanks, good idea.

January 13, 2023 12:40 pm  #4

If you do decide to go the Go Fund Me Route, please feel free to post the link in this thread. 

January 13, 2023 7:32 pm  #5

I have had several responses to my message about Mike Stafford…we could use a few more. The guy worked in Toronto radio for years and truly needs help. I would just ask that if you read this, you can put yourself in his position…scary and unimaginably difficult. If you can help, even a little, please Interac me at pshurman@gmail.com and I’ll make sure he gets what comes in within moments…already have, I won’t ask again so please consider this now. Thank you!

January 13, 2023 8:00 pm  #6

Don't know if you would consider taking the funding request to Twitter, it's far more public but I've seen many many many tweets from Mike's listeners since he left 640, missing him and wishing him well.

If you read this Mike, we're pulling for you.

January 13, 2023 8:15 pm  #7

I am doing what I can and sure, Twitter is fine if it helps. But I am being careful to make sure he’s cool with this. Thanks Randy.

January 14, 2023 12:29 pm  #8

I can't believe a man with the talent for radio that Mike Stafford has , that he has not been able to find a job, even if in a smaller market.  The circumstance of his dismissal from Corrus was in my opinion not totally fair when the alleged comment was not even on air. When I lost my radio career , I found a new line of work totally unrelated. I do recall Mike had some health issues, has this contributed to the current situation ?  As much as I would like to help, and no offense to him personally, I love the work he did, I would like to know more as to why this ask is happening. I understand it is a public forum and any information is his private concern. I worked with Mike in Brampton in the 80's, he is a good guy. I wish him well . 

January 14, 2023 6:24 pm  #9

To your comments, mic’em, it is not for me to publicly discuss Mike’s predicament. Suffice to say that his to-and-fro with Corus is far from over, he has a family, and he’s got significant health issues. In other words, packing up and heading for Kitchener or wherever is not the easy thing it was for some of us 50 years ago…and he’s in his 60s. To be honest, I have been friendly with Mike but we were never BFFs…I am a young 75 and not in Mike’s situation. I thank God and foresight for that but I could have been and ‘there but for the grace of God go all of us' in this once wonderful business that no longer is. If you can help, you’ll feel good. If not, well, you be you! I sincerely thank those who have contacted me and offered some assistance for our colleague.

Last edited by shurmanator (January 14, 2023 6:26 pm)

January 15, 2023 8:44 am  #10

Peter, thank you for reaching out to help a friend in need. Mike is not the only current or former broadcast colleague who has found himself in dire straits. I hope you see a good response to your effort and that it helps Mike overcome this hurdle in life. Have you reached out to NABS to see if they can help?  I recall NABS reps making pleas for support at many a CAB and regional broadcast association convention in years past. Surely the association can come to the aid of a broadcaster in time of need.

January 15, 2023 11:08 am  #11

Thanks for expanding the original post Peter. I sympathize immensely , I'm not in a current position to offer much more than good thoughts and trying to keep my own head above water in this economy. If anything changes, I will be happy to try and contribute. 

January 17, 2023 9:49 am  #12

RadioActive wrote:

If you do decide to go the Go Fund Me Route, please feel free to post the link in this thread. 

Big fan, GoFundMe is a great idea to help someome who needsa boost and should not have been dismissed. AM640 is now dead to me.

February 6, 2023 12:59 pm  #13

This ‘thank you’ post may seem a bit late but some of you were still assisting our friend Mike Stafford up to last week. Without sounding too ‘cap in hand’ or embarrassing Mike (He feels bad enough), I’d like to thank everyone who helped. I also want to tell you that Mike is having to fight his own private war and has to eat and feed a family at the same time. If you have thought about helping him, please do it. I have handled the donations by accepting your Interac gifts and turning them around so Mike gets them immediately. To aid in this, please address what you can to me via Interac at pshurman@gmail.com — I know how grateful he is!

Last edited by shurmanator (February 6, 2023 1:02 pm)

February 7, 2023 12:18 pm  #14

It might help if Mike had an online presence. I get that he is embarrassed but the help might flow his way if we knew why he is still chasing what is due to him after a year and a half.

February 7, 2023 4:11 pm  #15

Live in Lakefield wrote:

It might help if Mike had an online presence. I get that he is embarrassed but the help might flow his way if we knew why he is still chasing what is due to him after a year and a half.

I agree with you and I have had several similar messages. I do not 'tell' Mike what to do but I do commiserate with his plight and hope others do too. Mike has some decisions to make about precisely what you're suggesting...up to him. And I hope everyone will hear from him soon.