sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 5, 2023 6:13 pm  #1

Speaking of Speaking of commercials...

If Spence Diamonds and Coast Appliances stopped advertising, would most Toronto radio stations go belly-up?

January 5, 2023 6:43 pm  #2

Re: Speaking of Speaking of commercials...

That depends - is Kars for Kids considered a PSA or a paid spot?

January 5, 2023 7:26 pm  #3

Frank Leo and also Lino Archi? Leno Archey?

January 5, 2023 8:10 pm  #4

Walter wrote:

If Spence Diamonds and Coast Appliances stopped advertising, would most Toronto radio stations go belly-up?

No.  "I Promise you"    (Remember the "Promise me!" ad? lol)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

January 5, 2023 8:19 pm  #5

newsguy1 wrote:

It's actually spelled Arci, and the fact they never tell you that on the air would make it harder to find online.

I was going to phone him to see if he had a fortified fortress for sale. Then I could honestly tell everyone I have an Arci Bunker. 

January 5, 2023 8:20 pm  #6

newsguy1 wrote:

"That's right, Scott... I mean, Reshmi!"

January 5, 2023 10:07 pm  #7

The Spence diamonds and Coast appliances spots have been running back to back on 1010, cruel and unusual punishment for listeners.

The latest Spence copy is particularly senseless, getting all sillysophical about things that are "urgent" versus things that are "important" and promoting their versatile payment plans so customers can get engaged NOW.

Spence could always just bite the bullet and write an honest and humourous ad "Are you in the doghouse or sleeping on the couch because she was expecting a ring for Christmas or New Year but you didn't get her one because you don't really want to marry her right now or ever, and now she's barely speaking to you. Come to Spence and get a beautiful diamond ring using one of our handy financing plans to buy yourself some time and a winter of "love" until you can break up in the spring. With our Spence diamonds January sale, you'll go from Chez Bow Wow to 🎶 Voulez-vous coucher avec.. " and the 70's disco classic tune Lady Marmalade fades away into the latest Coast appliances saccharin sweet spot.

Last edited by betaylored (January 5, 2023 10:12 pm)

January 5, 2023 10:49 pm  #8

Loosely speaking of Coast Appliances, I was surprised to see the onlineradiobox streaming amalgamation/directory site have all the internal ad break names in their listing for Calgary's 770 CHQR:

https://onlineradiobox.com/ca/chqr/playlist/?cs=ca.chqr

For example:

"16:17 . - - EVENT NAMES CALGARY - COAST APPLIANCES
17:19 . - - SLICED BREAD 60 CALGARY - COAST APPLIANCES

13:47 . - MAROON 5 MOVES LIKE JAGGER - MUSIC RETURN HOOK ONLY LONG
13:46 . - GOCF - SAVE THE DATE CALG 15 - TRIXSTAR
13:57 . - SHAYE SPONSOR 15 #2 - LEGACY HEATING"
and on and on.

That station broadcasts in HD so perhaps these names are part of that extended metadata (whereas it would be songs for music radio) and if they show on the official player (or "hidden" there on-screen but part of the data feed) it's logical they'd be retrieved. Not used to seeing pages and pages of internal naming for the spots.

Last edited by AspectRatio (January 5, 2023 10:49 pm)

January 6, 2023 11:46 am  #9

The tone of the latest Spence copy would suggest that their sales figures were far less than expected.

January 6, 2023 11:53 am  #10

I had to laugh at their last series of spots that aired just prior to the holidays, where they openly admitted people don't buy diamonds as Christmas presents. Yet they kept trying to tell people to do just that, even as they admitted they weren't going to buy them! I think it was designed to change that perception, but what an odd campaign.

I will give the Spences, Frank Leos and Tom's Places credit for one thing though - at least they're willing to advertise on radio, helping to keep stations going. I'm not sure how they'd attract revenues if it weren't for these guys willing to pay the freight. It doesn't, however, make them any easier to listen to, especially when they air back-to-back every single break!

January 6, 2023 11:54 am  #11

Chrisphen wrote:

The tone of the latest Spence copy would suggest that their sales figures were far less than expected.

As if one Spence Diamonds commercial isn't annoying enough.  There were TWO Spence spots within the same break on NT1010.  Come on... It's a recession and nobody has enough money to buy groceries.  Who can actually afford to buy diamonds?  It doesn't matter how many ads you run, nobody is going to buy your product.  So tone deaf.

January 6, 2023 1:12 pm  #12

Both Coast and Spence are certainly heavy advertisers and no doubt the stations appreciate the revenue. Are the ads effective? The mouthy grandchild in Coast appliances is annoying, but doesn’t usually prompt me to change the station or mute the volume. And the name Coast is repeated enough that it’s now quite familiar. However, it puzzles me how the mandatory maniacal scream in the Spence radio ads, along with this creepy Callum character who was introduced some time ago, attracts business.  Do their ads prompt people to purchase baubles? There’s lots of jewellery stores around, many of them with long-term respectable reputations and they don’t resort to barnyard squeals. I flip to another station when the Spence ad begins.

January 6, 2023 2:07 pm  #13

Speaking of annoying characters in ads, how does 'Sarah' manage to appear as the same character in not only the miserable Spence Diamond ads, but in the 'Got Junk' ads as well?  Is removing garbage her side-hustle?