sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 28, 2022 8:13 pm  #1

Weird Technical Difficulties Hit WGRZ & Its Subcarriers

I'm not entirely sure when it started - I first noticed it at 6:30 PM, at the start of NBC Nightly News on WGRZ-TV's main feed on 2.1. There was no sound for the first 13 minutes of the newscast and the silence definitely was not golden. Curious to see if all the Tegna-owned station's channels were affected, I tried their subcarriers. 

And that's when it got even stranger. Antenna TV on 2.2, normally a place where you can watch reruns of old sitcoms, was also showing NBC Nightly News. And so was The True Crime Channel on 2.3. Neither had any sound. Checking Quest on 2.4 and Twist! on 2.5 turned up dark channels with nothing but black. Both appeared to be off the air.

Around 6:43 PM, the audio finally returned to the main channel on WGRZ. But they remained silent on the subcarriers. As of this posting, the Channel 2 feed is on both 2.2 and 2.3, with no audio and no explanation. The other stations remain dark.  

I'm not sure if this is storm-related - Buffalo got hit hard as most here know - but it certainly is odd. I'm not sure I've ever heard - or maybe not heard - so much silence from three TV stations at the same time. There's no indication when things will get back to normal and their website provides no clue as to what's going on.