sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 13, 2016 10:38 am  #1

Union Orgranizers in Radio...

Many years ago while working at a radio station one of my fellow employees, a young well spoken chap decided he wanted to try to organize a union.

Well you KNOW the reaction from the station owner...it was swift...he talked everybody down and the union never got off the ground and the young chap ?? Well he was not employed there very much longer...

Have you got any stories about attempts at union organizing ?? Some organizers might have thought that small town radio stations would prove to be fertile ground for their union efforts but any independent business owner of a "family owned" station would of course NEVER embrace it. Any stories out there ??

August 13, 2016 12:52 pm  #2

Re: Union Orgranizers in Radio...

Are you saying that Union, ON (east of Kingsville, west of Leamington) does not have its own radio station yet?

August 13, 2016 1:26 pm  #3

Kilgore wrote:

Are you saying that Union, ON (east of Kingsville, west of Leamington) does not have its own radio station yet?

Are you drunk ?

August 13, 2016 1:48 pm  #4

CEP + Beer is never a good thing. 
(I know it has not been CEP for years...I'm just blending in with the thread...lol)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

August 13, 2016 2:08 pm  #5

who or what is CEP?

k. (sober as most judges)

August 13, 2016 2:26 pm  #6

Back in the day I would have fought tooth and nail to keep unions out of every radio station I ever worked at.  But then 'todays' radio became the norm.  Any station which isn't unionized contains a ship of fools heading for a very rocky shoal.

Unionize.  Or?  Get set adrift "me'earties."  Unions are now your friend.  Corporations NEVER will be.  You're just a number.  When that number reaches a specific point?  You'll be toast.  [unless you host mornings...then your rating numbers need to be ALL THAT or you'll be nothing...even though THEY'RE telling you what to do.]

August 13, 2016 4:05 pm  #7

Old Codger wrote:

Get set adrift "me'earties."    

Have you ever been blown ashore ??

August 13, 2016 4:09 pm  #8

The time is ripe for unions to take over the industry.  Old Codger for Chairman of the Board.    Grilled.Cheese for program director.  

August 13, 2016 4:39 pm  #9

When the benevolent, philanthropic, hospital-atrium donating Slaights owned 'RB, a certain news reporter was
thrown from the second floor onto St. Clair when he mentioned unionizing. Made a mess in front of the United Cigar store.

August 13, 2016 5:17 pm  #10

Before Ed Lawson there was nothing

August 13, 2016 5:55 pm  #11

Kilgore wrote:

who or what is CEP?

CEP WAS the Communications, Energy and Paper worker's union. (It's now a larger stronger Union known as Unifor)

August 13, 2016 6:38 pm  #12

Radiowiz wrote:

Kilgore wrote:

who or what is CEP?

CEP WAS the Communications, Energy and Paper worker's union. (It's now a larger stronger Union known as Unifor)

Paper workers union huh??

Would that have included or not included toilet paper??

Last edited by unclefester (August 13, 2016 6:39 pm)

August 13, 2016 7:58 pm  #13

unclefester wrote:

Paper workers union huh??
Would that have included or not included toilet paper??

Good question. I think it related more to the paper mills maybe?
It's easy to make a mistake, I suppose.
20 years ago I made the mistake of thinking that CEP stood for Chemical energy and paper worker's union because I used to have a bunch of friends that worked for what was then known as Consumer's gas.
CG was part of the CEP union.

Last edited by Radiowiz (August 13, 2016 8:00 pm)

August 13, 2016 8:52 pm  #14

Battled unions twice in my 55 year radio and TV career, first in the 60s and again in the 80s.
Why?
Because they weren't necessary back then.
Employers (at least the ones I worked with) valued their employees and looked after them.
All the unions could promise were union dues deducted from your paycheck.
The 60s attempt ended when the GM (loved by everyone) explained the situation.
When the station made money, raises were given.
When it didn't (rarely), there were no cuts or firings.
In the 80s, the union (I think it was U-Bet (sarcasm on) that started organizing CHUM stations, managing to get a foothold in Halifax and TV.
Mr. Waters ended that threat by giving every employee the same benefits that the unionized employees received, without them having to pay union dues and establishing the "Employee Relations Committee," headed by a staff member nominated by other employees.  I had the honour of heading it twice with weekly meetings with Mr. Waters, passing on any concerns from staff members.  That committee encouraged Mr. Waters to bring in Pay Equity and Same Sex Benefits plus other perqs.  That was the last of the union talk at 1331 and other CHUM properties across the country.