sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 9, 2022 9:53 am  #1

Ben Steinfeld has passed

I was saddened to learn this morning of the passing of Ben Steinfeld who battled MS for a number of years.  Ben was a colleague at CFTR in the late 70s.  A talented, witty guy who also toiled at CHFI and CBC before venturing into some television and communication work.  
https://steelesmemorialchapel.com/condolence/benjamin-steinfeld/

December 9, 2022 10:10 am  #2

Re: Ben Steinfeld has passed

Wow, I'm so sorry to hear this. Ben was a terrific newsman and an even better human being. I was lucky enough to work with him in that giant CFTR newsroom and even then, he stood out. 

I recently posted a story about how one of his features became a brief Toronto sensation, even though his producer was reluctant at first to even attempt it:

The News Report That Went Into Rotation @ Top 40 CFTR

It's a great story and it will give you chance to hear that voice one last time - a voice, I'm told, he no longer had at the end of his life thanks to the effects of MS, a horrible disease that also took my best friend's life just over a year ago. I'm glad his suffering is over and I hope his family can take some comfort in that. I'm just sorry he ever had to go through it at all. 

His obit at the link in the post above contains some comments from a few well remembered names, including Larry Silver, Evelyn Macko and Ted Bird, all a big part of the TR newsroom in those days. 

December 9, 2022 11:33 am  #3

I seem to recall that Ben Steinfeld also had a (short?) stint at 97.3 EZ Rock sometime in the 1990s. Sad to read the news of his passing. Condolences to his family.

December 9, 2022 11:46 am  #4

So sorry to hear this.  I was a production op at CHFI and Ben gave me the position of tech producer of Chronicle, the noon news program.  I learned many things working with Ben.  One was to never let the facts get in the way of a good story! Joking of course and the other was to 'consider the source'.  On some Mondays he would bring in hot bagels straight from Montreal.  
He was a good, gentle and funny man.  R.I.P and my condolences. 

December 9, 2022 12:13 pm  #5

As you can see, there are many who have good thoughts about Ben. I, too, am proud to have known
and worked with him over decades at CFTR and CHFI. Love people who always let you know where
they’re coming from and Ben was one of them. I will always smile at the mention of his name.

December 9, 2022 2:59 pm  #6

RadioActive wrote:

I recently posted a story about how one of his features became a brief Toronto sensation, even though his producer was reluctant at first to even attempt it:

The News Report That Went Into Rotation @ Top 40 CFTR

Just listened to this for the first time. Very well done. Once again condolences to Ben's family and friends.