sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 8, 2022 1:43 pm  #1

Global's Glitches Go On

Whatever is ailing Global seems not to have been fixed. For several weeks, posters have been outlining weird glitches on the network, including long stretches of black, newscasts that don't run, wrong spots that seem out of place for the market and more. 

On Thursday, the trend continued out of its Toronto station. Meteorologist Anthony Farnell had just begun his weather forecast on the noon show when the screen suddenly cut away in mid-sentence to an on air disclaimer about the following show being available with described video. This happened at around 12:29:30, a bit too soon for it to have actually run.

That was followed by at least 30 secs. of black, and then I expected to see the rerun of last night's Entertainment Tonight Canada begin. Instead, they cut back to the main anchor in the middle of reading the final kicker piece of the newscast - which came at 12:30:30, when ET should already have been on. She was apparently none the wiser that the entire story she was reading had practically been obliterated and wished viewers a good afternoon. 

Another 15-30 secs. of black followed, at which point ET finally began, in partial mid-intro. 

I believe someone here said that Global recently switched to a brand new master control system integrated throughout its stations. Whatever is going on, something is not working and this is happening way too often for a professional TV network. I hope they find a way to fix it soon, because it does not make them look very good. 

I believe the noon news out of Toronto also airs in Peterborough and Montreal as a cost saver. I'm not sure what viewers there saw, but I suspect it was the same errors. 

December 8, 2022 4:07 pm  #2

Re: Global's Glitches Go On

The picture quality also hasn't returned to normal.  Most shows I watch using an OTA continue to have scenes with pixelated pictures, especially if there are scenes that have fast-moving objects.  I think it has been like this since early September.

Also, whoever is pressing the buttons during "The Late Show with Stephen Colbert" is also doing a terrible job... always go to commercials before the show fades out.  It's not too crucial, but it's just annoying.

December 8, 2022 4:25 pm  #3

Global BC has been having a lot of problems this week too. The enhanced screen wasn’t working during the morning news yesterday, and there were also some significant audio problems.

Whatever is going on, it seems to be national in scope.

December 8, 2022 4:37 pm  #4

But the commercials air just fine
and people are buying the products advertised just fine still, so who cares?  

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

December 8, 2022 4:51 pm  #5

It's about having some professional pride in what you turn out. Plus, while the spots may air as they're supposed to, if they're preceded by 30 secs. of black, some might be tempted to change the channel and never see them. So all the elements have to work to make it seem like a pro organization. Plus, it screws up the timing of the endings of the shows, which is also a problem especially when you're simulcasting. 

They need to fix this. People around the country are starting to notice. 

December 8, 2022 5:14 pm  #6

Apparently they've also changed the newsroom computer system that runs all their newscasts. All their newscasts run on Openmedia...
https://www.cgi.com/en/case-study/openmedia/canadian-powerhouse-corus-entertainment-relies-on-openmedia-newsroom-system

The same software that caused the BBC's newscasts to go off the air
https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-45812540

December 8, 2022 6:11 pm  #7

Speaking of BBC, here are some technical glitches from last month.  BBC seems to have on going auto camera problems and issues with the opening of newscasts.  Some of these are pretty funny...
https://www.yout-ube.com/watch?v=MHX8W4Sd9Ew

December 9, 2022 1:55 pm  #8

CTV Toronto News @ Noon is going to ads brutally @ 12:55 PM before the news anchor can say "More to come..."

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

December 10, 2022 4:15 pm  #9

Even CTV Kitchener was having issues with Thursday's 11:30 newscast. During a report on a house fire in Galt which is in the city of Cambridge. After the 1st break when they were about to go live the video screen behind Tony Grace was showing him talking instead of the house fire in Galt. But then they finally were in action and showed the the house fire. Is all of CTV Kitchener's control room in Toronto? It is getting worse after Bell Media pulled local control staff to Toronto. Here is the pic I was talking about. 
Also some of their videos don't even play on their website. I tried contacting their web team and the inbox is full. I contacted CTV News help and waiting for a response back.

Last edited by haydenmatthews14 (December 11, 2022 8:43 pm)