sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 5, 2016 3:45 pm  #1

NBC News: Not The Place For Real Olympic Stories

I’ve been watching NBC Nightly News the past few weeks and have discovered something disturbing, but not really surprising. The network, which paid over a billion dollars for the right to show this usually bloated behemoth, has been careful to not play up all the endless problems that are surrounding this year’s summer spectacle.

It’s not that they haven’t covered all the issues. It’s just while their competition at CBS and ABC are doing full stories on the potential disasters-in-the-making, NBC is acknowledging problems but treating them as if they’re not serious.

Zika virus? They’ve sprayed for that.

Filthy polluted water that could spread serious diseases? They’ve cleaned it up.

An athletes’ village that wasn’t finished and was plagued by flooding and other problems? A minor inconvenience.

Security concerns after the military was forced to step in at the last minute? Not to worry.

Unrest and protests in the country over all the wasted money? Just a bunch of minor malcontents.

Corruption in the IOC? They let almost all those dope-y Russians back in. But otherwise, their judgment is sound.

It’s been frustrating to watch as these things are constantly glossed over so they can spend three minutes on some American athlete you never heard of competing in a sport you’d otherwise never watch. Sad really, but I no longer trust their news coverage, which is now so pro-everything Rio that I can’t believe anything they report. God help them if there’s a terror attack during the Games.

As if that’s not bad enough, this went under the radar for most of us. NBC actually had the gall to try and get the IOC to rearrange the parade of nations that traditionally opens the games according to the host country’s native language. In the case of Rio, that’s Portuguese and the Estados Unidos will be introduced fairly early on. The problem? They wanted it done in English so the United States would come near the end and force American viewers to sit through that many more commercials in order to get to that so-called highlight.

So for all the coverage of competitors from down south, by all means tune to NBC. Just don’t expect to get the real – or in this case the Rio - story behind them on the Peacock Network’s evening newscast. They’ve demonstrated that they’ve already sold their journalistic soul to the company store. 

August 5, 2016 4:02 pm  #2

Re: NBC News: Not The Place For Real Olympic Stories

RA I don't know why you'd be tuning in to NBC in the first place...

We have perfectly good Olympic coverage emanating from this country...

Don't you think so ??

Last edited by unclefester (August 5, 2016 4:03 pm)

August 5, 2016 5:15 pm  #3

Hey Unc.

First, I was watching NBC Nightly News, not the Olympic coverage, which technically hasn't started yet. And my comment was about the news department, which is supposed to be separate from programming, looking askance and downplaying the disastrous lead-up to the Games and its myriad problems. 

And now to earn the opprobrium of most normal people - which I never claimed to be - I absolutely despise the Olympics. I consider them an unutterable waste of time and money, and a showcase for dirty politics (as evidenced by the Russian doping scandal and the IOC's ridiculous put predictable response to it.)

In the winter, it interrupts the prime time season for two endless weeks, forcing other networks into reruns. And in the summer, the sports being covered are so bland, I'm not even sure I could name them all. I never watch a single second of either, although given the media saturation, it's impossible to get away from them.  

While I have nothing against the athletes, per se, I lament the waste of taxpayer money spent to finance their efforts. And I definitely don't buy into this nationalistic BS that "they're playing for me." They don't know me, never will and the truth as I see it is that they're only doing what they're doing for their own glory, not mine. If I get a raise at my job through hard work, beating out someone else for the bucks, are they suppose to say, "wow, he did that for all of us?" No, and it would be foolish to even think that was the case.

Overall, these next two weeks can't pass by fast enough. 

And now, like Olympic archery, I've likely made myself a huge target. So fire away. But it won't change my mind about this bloated, overly expensive, unnecessary and totally corrupt event.

Since you asked! 

August 5, 2016 5:25 pm  #4

Thanks RA for that very detailed answer...

Well....since  NBC is the host broadcaster for the 2016 summer games in Rio I don't know how much of a distinction one can draw by saying "I was watching NBC Nightly News, not the Olympic coverage, which technically hasn't started yet".

The Olympic coverage, particularly if you are watching host broadcaster N.B.C. HAS started....started weeks ago.....newscast or not...IMO...

August 5, 2016 5:34 pm  #5

I see your point, but I consider coverage of the Games themselves - which is exclusive to NBC - vastly different from the news surrounding them, which all networks are free to cover. It's the "everything's OK, nothing to see here" attitude of the host network that's bothering me. There are a ton of problems in Rio and IMHO, they're getting very short shrift on NBC News, so as not to ruin the feel good atmosphere that helps the corporate story line that everything is wonderful. .  

By the way, speaking of CBC's upcoming coverage, this is from Alan Pergament of the Buffalo News. It's fairly typical of how Americans view the coverage from here. 

"Much has been made about NBC’s decision to tape delay Friday’s  opening ceremonies, starting its coverage at 7:30 p.m. Most Buffalo viewers have the choice of watching the ceremonies live 30 minutes earlier on Canada’s CBC. However, since CBC’s coverage is usually dull by comparison, I’d wait the hour and watch NBC’s Matt Lauer, Meredith Vieira and Hoda Kotb. They are bound to be much more entertaining than CBC’s announcers. CBC also will provide much more live coverage throughout the games than NBC, though it often focuses on Canadian athletes who have no chance to win. However, since there is only an hour time difference between Rio and the East Coast of the United States, there should be plenty of live coverage on NBC."

Olympic tips and teachable moments for viewers of the Rio Games

Last edited by RadioActive (August 5, 2016 7:30 pm)

August 5, 2016 6:09 pm  #6

RadioActive wrote:

I consider coverage of the Games themselves vastly different from the news surrounding them...    

Well of course if you are talking results from a ping pong matchup between Ivory Coast and Suriname..then yes....that portion of the coverage is yet to come...So medal counts no....but the promo's and bio's and backgrounders and feel good pieces have been hard to miss on N.B.C. Nightly News  and their morning show and elsewhere not to mention many commercials for the last 2-3 weeks or so ??

Christie Blatchford has written at least 3 pieces I'm aware of for the National Post and has been on Newstalk 1010 all week live from Rio so  "coverage" is well underway.

I just watched the Canadian ladies soccer team defeat their Aussie counterparts on Wednesday...2 days ago...that match was a part of these Games !

And just who is that asshole from the Buffalo News ??

Last edited by unclefester (August 5, 2016 8:04 pm)

August 5, 2016 7:24 pm  #7

Alan Pergament is the longtime TV critic for The Buffalo News. He breaks a lot of stories, but yes he's not a fan of the CBC's Olympic coverage. Let's face it, most broadcasters are homers when it comes to the Games, although few are as obvious about it as the Americans. Perhaps Canada's somewhat less blatant boosterism isn't what he's used to.    

August 5, 2016 7:32 pm  #8

RadioActive wrote:

Alan Pergament. Perhaps Canada's somewhat less blatant boosterism isn't what he's used to.    

Perhaps he's just an asshole.

August 9, 2016 7:21 pm  #9

I knew NBC News was in bed with its programming department, but I never thought they'd stoop this low. While watching their 6:30 national cast on Tuesday, anchor Lester Holt was very careful to say 'we're not going to tell you what's happened in the Olympics up to this point.'

Meanwhile, over on CBS, Scott Pelley was gleefully announcing the breaking news that the U.S. Women's Team had just won gold in Rio. He explained to viewers something to this effect: 'We can't help it if the coverage is delayed, but this is just breaking and you need to know about it.'

So in essence, NBC knowingly and deliberately buried an actual news story just so they could protect their own programming department.

Does this mean they would willingly delay, say, the President announcing he was sending troops to some foreign country on a war footing just because they weren't ready to present that story right now? Yes, that's an obvious extreme but it's also a terrible precedent when a news department becomes a shill for its programming counterpart.

This is happening a lot more in so-called TV journalism these days (like when CTV does a three minute segment on its nightly newscast about "The Amazing Race Canada" or City TV puts up a "story" about "The Bachelor Canada" during CityNews.) It's crowding out other likely more important news, but at least in those cases, they could choose not to run it if there's something more pressing. 

But NBC is taking it to extremes this summer.   

I used to respect the Peacock's nightly output.

Not any more.

Last edited by RadioActive (August 9, 2016 7:25 pm)

August 9, 2016 7:48 pm  #10

I'm with Fester on this one. More proof of assholishness here:  http://talkintv.buffalonews.com/2016/01/19/ch-7s-rowe-has-strong-debut-but-has-a-few-things-to-work-on/

Described on Twitter by one Siobhan Morris as "...so, so incredibly weird."

unclefester wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

Alan Pergament. Perhaps Canada's somewhat less blatant boosterism isn't what he's used to.    

Perhaps he's just an asshole.

August 10, 2016 7:31 am  #11

RadioActive wrote:

I knew NBC News was in bed with its programming department, but I never thought they'd stoop this low. While watching their 6:30 national cast on Tuesday, anchor Lester Holt was very careful to say 'we're not going to tell you what's happened in the Olympics up to this point.'

Meanwhile, over on CBS, Scott Pelley was gleefully announcing the breaking news that the U.S. Women's Team had just won gold in Rio. He explained to viewers something to this effect: 'We can't help it if the coverage is delayed, but this is just breaking and you need to know about it.'

So in essence, NBC knowingly and deliberately buried an actual news story just so they could protect their own programming department.

Does this mean they would willingly delay, say, the President announcing he was sending troops to some foreign country on a war footing just because they weren't ready to present that story right now? Yes, that's an obvious extreme but it's also a terrible precedent when a news department becomes a shill for its programming counterpart.

This is happening a lot more in so-called TV journalism these days (like when CTV does a three minute segment on its nightly newscast about "The Amazing Race Canada" or City TV puts up a "story" about "The Bachelor Canada" during CityNews.) It's crowding out other likely more important news, but at least in those cases, they could choose not to run it if there's something more pressing. 

But NBC is taking it to extremes this summer.   

I used to respect the Peacock's nightly output.

Not any more.

I saw that too. Couldn't believe what I was hearing. John Chancellor is spinning violently in his grave.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

August 10, 2016 7:46 am  #12

>> Rowe needs to work on the all important attitude actors and anchors do so well -- faking sincerity.

Yup, nothing's more important than that.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

August 10, 2016 12:19 pm  #13

RadioActive wrote:

Meanwhile, over on CBS, Scott Pelley was gleefully announcing  to viewers something to this effect: 'We can't help it if the coverage is delayed, but this is just breaking and you need to know about it.'

So in essence, NBC knowingly and deliberately buried an actual news story  

Somewhat related...I can recall some discussion not that long ago involving Darren Dreger of TSN sports. The "hockey insider" would make an appearance on the afternoon radio show to promote the upcoming television 6 p.m. network coast-to-coaster.

And on occasion like any reporter Dreger would have a scoop. But while he might allude to his new/inside information/story on the Toronto-centric radio show...he'd "save  it" for an hour or two for national t.v.

Dreger didn't want to "scoop himself" on the TSN flagship radio outlet with the t.v. show coming right up but this policy did raise questions. I don't know if he/the network  still does this but obviously it was done with his bosses approval...

So when is breaking news breaking news ?? And was/is  the TSN policy of holding back info any different than what NBC is doing this week ??  Inquiring minds want to know...

Last edited by unclefester (August 10, 2016 12:20 pm)

August 12, 2016 3:42 pm  #14

So much for CBC's gold medal-winning Olympic coverage:

CBC sportscaster mixes up Olympic swimmers Michael Phelps and Ryan Lochte

Needless to say, the man some here are calling an a-hole weighed in on the faux pas.

WNY was one of few places to see CBC's live coverage of gymnastics, announcer's gaffe