sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 8, 2022 11:36 am  #1

Annoying ads during a show

Ads during a show are starting to get annoying.  First noticed it on Global TV.  They are showing ads for other shows that shrinks the show that is currently airing and have lower third and right third of the screen with the ad promoting other shows.  Then, on CityTV, they have these sort of preview ads where the lower-third is completely blocked with the show airing full screen (show airing is not resized), and then seconds later, the actual ad is shown.  Happened last night during "Quantum Leap".  I remember the show from years ago, but I haven't watched the reboot.  I just came across this in the guide and recorded it using my Plex Server to check it out.  There were two ads.  One for a PlayStation game, and the other was a MasterCard ad.  I know they have done this with live sports broadcasts for decades, but I think doing it during non-live programming is crossing a line.

Yes, broadcast TV is dying a slow death and they have to find new ways of generating revenue, but when you are selling ads like this, I think it will just drive more people to streaming.

Screenshots of these preview ads: https://imgur.com/gallery/dXMAq8p

Last edited by chrishch (November 8, 2022 11:38 am)

November 8, 2022 11:48 am  #2

Re: Annoying ads during a show

We were talking about this recently in another thread. It seems to be done more on Canadian stations than U.S. ones, although I've seen it a few times both in Buffalo and on the Amnets. (Most of the American instances are promos for upcoming shows and not a straight out ad, per se.) But they still take up screen space, usually follow a long commercial break and are very annoying. 

My take: You just made me sit through 2-3 minutes of ads. I shouldn't have to keep watching them during the show. It destroys the mood, the flow and just irritates. Yet with people increasingly skipping ads through DVR recording, I suppose it's inevitable. 

I'm not likely to buy a product advertised in this way, since the only thing I'll recall about it is that it annoyed me.