sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 7, 2022 1:05 pm  #1

AM 640's Monday Editorial Decision Is Completely Baffling

All Monday morning, listeners - especially parents - were on tenterhooks waiting for a press conference first by the Premier of Ontario and then a delayed presser from CUPE about the school standoff. I don't want to get into the politics of this - that's for a different forum - but all morning long, 640 and 1010 went on standby mode, promising to bring the union's response. 

It was supposed to happen at 10 AM, then 11, then noon. All the while, 640's Alex Pierson assured listeners her station would bring them the union's response live. So what happened? The instant the CUPE presser began, 640 bafflingly cut to their scheduled noon news, and did not go live to the news event they'd been promising all day long. It was on live over both 680 and 1010, but for some reason, CFIQ went into a newscast, then aired it on a time delay some 5-7 minutes later. 

I would love to know what in the world they were thinking, hyping this up for so many hours (since at least Greg Brady's show at 8 AM), and then failing to deliver it, when it would have been so simple to air it. Why? It makes absolutely no sense and was a huge fail to its audience. Especially after all those promises. I'm at a loss to explain it. 

November 7, 2022 2:36 pm  #2

Re: AM 640's Monday Editorial Decision Is Completely Baffling

Doesn't 640 Toronto always air their so-called "live" pressers tape delayed at least for a few minutes?  I noticed that during the daily Ford press briefings during 2021.  It was annoying as Ford was always late and the station makes the briefings even later... I think they do that on purpose just so they know when the press questions are and they have the option to cut to commercials.

Last edited by chrishch (November 7, 2022 3:59 pm)