sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 2, 2022 11:20 am  #1

CBC News Forced To Leave Both China & Russia

The crackdown on freedom of the press is not surprising but it is distressing. China has repeatedly refused to renew the visa for CBC personnel and Russia has kicked the network out of Moscow over the forced removal of RT on Canadian cable and satellite. 

I'm not a fan of the CBC, as many here know, but I fully support them on this. Cracking down on journalists is a very bad sign and is a terrible precedent in a world that needs more scrutiny, not less. 

The CBC vows to continue coverage of both countries from afar, having relocated their China correspondent to Taiwan, something that likely won't make the Communist government happy, but it's their own fault. 

I know former CTV correspondent and Canadian born reporter Janice Mackey Frayer is based in Beijing for NBC News. I wonder if there are any other news organizations that will be removed from these secretive dictatorships in the future, places where they'd rather you not know what they're really doing - and why it's more important than ever for them to be there. 

CBC shutting down its China news bureau

CBC Editorial: Why CBC News will close its China bureau