sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 31, 2016 12:28 pm  #1

GUNS! GUNS! GUNS!

So the same woman's voice who, on behalf of Ontario doctors, kept asserting that she wasn't an activist but the government wasn't being fair to the already-affluent doctors who already got a state-subsidized education in a lucrative field, is now telling us contraband tobacco is funding criminal enterprises right here in Ontario.

I should pause here and say that I'm against contraband tobacco and crime, too, but hearing these ridiculously histrionic, over-acted, clumsily constructed radio ads makes me want to head downtown and, even though I haven't smoked since the nineties,buy a full carton of whatever from the back of a truck just to piss these people off because their radio ads are so stupid and fear-mongering.

Seriously, I know it's a problem, but you would think a coalition with deep pockets behind it would turn out messaging that actually got the point across without sounding freaking ridiculous. And the guns! guns! guns! bit is just playing on Canadian anti-American stereotypes about gun violence. I'm sure there is gun problem here in Ontario, but in terms of the size of the problem, it's relatively minor compared to some other jurisdictions outside of Canada.

Replacing rational, thoughtful advocacy advertising with laughably silly fear-mongering radio ads doesn't exactly sound like their money has been well-spent.

But then again, what do you expect from an industry who's business model is based on addicting, poisoning, and killing their clientele?

July 31, 2016 3:23 pm  #2

Re: GUNS! GUNS! GUNS!

It's all spin.  Like any other ad, one needs to listen critically and be prepared to discard it if the message is inapplicable to you or just plain over the top.  

Let them spend their money as they wish as a small part goes to the woman who voiced the ad, along with the OMA ads. She probably auditioned for them like most every other gig.  The fact the the same voice did both ads is purely coincidental.

As for the messages:

1.  Making the connection to illegal smokes and guns is silly.  I know that.  Anyone with a brain knows that.  Enough said.

2.  In terms of the OMA, I find it funny that a group that worked so hard to keep the provincial Liberals in power during the last campaign is now working so hard against them.  You made your bed, now sleep in it.

July 31, 2016 9:18 pm  #3

Re: GUNS! GUNS! GUNS!

I only mentioned that woman's voice because the other day I noticed the coincidence. It's a distinctive and great voice. World-weary and dark.

Don't read anything else into that particular mention of mine.