sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 30, 2022 8:26 am  #1

Rare Reception On Sunday Morning

Not sure if it's the fog or something else, but as I post this, I'm seeing a very strong signal on the channel 67s, the MeTV stations that almost never make it into Toronto. In fact, this is the very first time I've seen them at all in at least 6 months or more. 

Don't know how long they'll be there at 100 signal strength (another first!) but if you have an antenna and ever wanted to scan them in (there are 8 subcarriers) it's on virtual channel 67, but scan on VHF channel 7. Good luck!

October 30, 2022 9:05 am  #2

Re: Rare Reception On Sunday Morning

nothing here in north Burlington...  must be a rare, narrow duct or window...

October 30, 2022 9:53 am  #3

If you have a rotor on your antenna, it might need some fine tuning. 

I was just out with the dog for an hour and came back. I'm surprised to see it's still there, although the signal strength has dipped to 88. I suspect it won't be coming in much longer but it was nice to see it while it lasted. It's the one Buffalo-area signal I most wish I could get all the time. 

October 30, 2022 11:04 am  #4

Actually, I think this is weather impairment...  there was heavy fog down along the Lake / Beach Strip area...  when I was out for a walk with our dog, I could hear the fog horn sounding from the Left Bridge/Canal...

The WBBZ signal is VHF, and relatively low power.  so probably not enough to punch thru the fog cover even with the dipoles on the antenna. 

October 30, 2022 12:56 pm  #5

And it's gone as of noon! But I'm frankly amazed it lasted as long as it did. I first tuned in just before 8 AM. It was still putting in a good signal just after 11 AM. It doesn't usually last three hours. And I'm not even sure when it started, so it could have been longer than that. 

See you next summer, Channel 67! Maybe...

October 30, 2022 10:41 pm  #6

I mentioned this in the WUTV thread before I saw this one - there was a huge duct this morning over western NY and Ontario. Most of Ottawa's FM dial was blasting into Rochester and I was able to carry some signals westward almost to Buffalo. I could hear CFXJ on the US side of the border, which is very rare, and logged the new 90.3 CBC from Belleville in Rochester, a rarity here. I could hear CFMX all the way to Port Colborne, which is certainly not usual, and was getting most of the Dunkirk and some Jamestown signals along the north shore of Lake Erie. 

October 31, 2022 2:59 am  #7

fybush wrote:

I mentioned this in the WUTV thread before I saw this one - there was a huge duct this morning over western NY and Ontario. Most of Ottawa's FM dial was blasting into Rochester and I was able to carry some signals westward almost to Buffalo. I could hear CFXJ on the US side of the border, which is very rare, and logged the new 90.3 CBC from Belleville in Rochester, a rarity here. I could hear CFMX all the way to Port Colborne, which is certainly not usual, and was getting most of the Dunkirk and some Jamestown signals along the north shore of Lake Erie. 

I got some radio stations from Detroit, Erie, Cleveland and Buffalo Saturday evening while sitting in a parking lot in North East London while waiting for Pizza. I got WKQI 95.5, 96.3 WDVD and 104.3 WOMC from Detroit. WRTS 103.7 from Erie. WAKS 96.5 from Cleveland and 99.5 WDCX from Buffalo. I also got CIDR 93.9 from Windsor too. It was pretty rare for WKQI and WDVD to reach that part of London because sometimes the signal for both WKQI and WDVD are sometimes blocked by WFHM-FM from Cleveland and CFMX from Toronto.