sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 26, 2022 7:27 pm  #1

A note for CFXJ's engineers

Your signal sets my desktop radio's clock to the wrong time.

Please fix.

Last edited by RadioAaron (October 26, 2022 7:28 pm)

November 2, 2022 8:30 pm  #2

Re: A note for CFXJ's engineers

Please?

November 3, 2022 4:12 am  #3

Maybe reach out to them on their website. This isn’t a fault report for Toronto radio engineering.

November 3, 2022 10:41 am  #4

sparsons@stingray.com
416-482-0973
CFXJ 93.5

When a station now called today radio can't even get the time right, that is a sad statement. I never realized which station it was setting the clock on my radio and self-setting alarm clock; I assumed it was the CBC.

I don't want to sound like chicken little, but with a time change coming, there will be many Self-setting clocks that will look for re-sync. If the station doesn't want to offer the service properly, they might turn off their clock syncing mechanism. Are there any other stations in Toronto that could provide this service quickly, or is there even a station where these clocks and radios would start to gravitate to with a more accurate time already

November 3, 2022 11:07 am  #5

arc23 wrote:

sparsons@stingray.com
416-482-0973
CFXJ 93.5

When a station now called today radio can't even get the time right, that is a sad statement. I never realized which station it was setting the clock on my radio and self-setting alarm clock; I assumed it was the CBC.

I don't want to sound like chicken little, but with a time change coming, there will be many Self-setting clocks that will look for re-sync. If the station doesn't want to offer the service properly, they might turn off their clock syncing mechanism. Are there any other stations in Toronto that could provide this service quickly, or is there even a station where these clocks and radios would start to gravitate to with a more accurate time already

CFNY is the only one that sets my clock to the correct time. CFXJ and CBL-FM set it to the wrong time, and no other stations seem to have any effect.

Last edited by RadioAaron (November 3, 2022 11:07 am)

November 3, 2022 12:23 pm  #6

Never heard of a radio station setting up my clock in my life - what kind of radio is this? 

November 3, 2022 1:02 pm  #7

November 6, 2022 12:41 pm  #8

To update the most frivolous thread here (and that's saying something), CFXJ seems to have thankfully turned this feature off. Thanks!

Meanwhile, CBL-FM's time signal moved back an hour last night....to an hour earlier than its previous wrong time.

CFNY is setting the radio to the correct time today.

November 6, 2022 4:31 pm  #9

markow202 wrote:

Never heard of a radio station setting up my clock in my life - what kind of radio is this? 

My Sangean ATS 909 has that feature.

It's in Florida now, so it won't reset til I get back there.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

November 6, 2022 8:16 pm  #10

I almost bought that radio, but all the reviews I read were critical of the volume control wheel on the bottom right of your pic, saying it was sticky and often annoying. I bought a slightly smaller Sangean instead, with a more traditional volume tuner. It's a great radio (and does not tune its own time via a station, but has to be done manually) but I can't help but wonder what might have been. Does that feature bother you? Are you happy with the radio? Or would you buy something else if you had to do it again? 

Here's mine, the ATS-405:

November 6, 2022 9:45 pm  #11

I like the Sangean I have, but the radio that gets the most use is another Sangean - a pocket radio that mainly uses a headphone, that I take when walking the dog or going shopping. It is an absolutely incredible thing, a little bigger than a deck of cards and while the FM reception is just OK for local stations (no real antenna) the AM DX on this tiny wonder is astonishing. 

I've bought several of them over the years and I can't recommend them enough. If you've got any money left!

November 6, 2022 10:25 pm  #12

I've seen that one before and it's a great little radio. I have several Sangeans and they're all great,

The DT 110 is headphone only it comes with either a silver coloured case or a clear plastic case, I have one of each.

The transparent one I keep in Florida. It's actually made for use in the US prison system. They cant's use it to smuggle contraband. 

November 6, 2022 10:39 pm  #13

Interesting that in all the pics posted (except for the one you took of your own Sangean), every radio is tuned to 100.7 FM. That can't be a coincidence but I wonder why they did that.

November 6, 2022 10:43 pm  #14

RadioActive wrote:

Interesting that in all the pics posted (except for the one you took of your own Sangean), every radio is tuned to 100.7 FM. That can't be a coincidence but I wonder why they did that.

You're right. I hadn't noticed that.

Sort of like the old Timex watch ads that always showed ten minutes to two.

November 6, 2022 10:46 pm  #15

Maybe they're fans of CHIN-FM!

November 6, 2022 11:33 pm  #16

Even their analogs.