sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 24, 2022 7:04 pm  #1

Scott MacArthur MIA

Has anybody noticed that Scott McArthur is now into his 3rd week absent from 1010's The Rush?  Does anyone care?

Last edited by Walter (October 24, 2022 7:10 pm)

October 24, 2022 7:15 pm  #2

Re: Scott MacArthur MIA

Oddly, I was just thinking of that and was going to post on it. It's not just you. He seems to have been gone for a while, with no real explanation. No updates I could find on either his Twitter or Facebook pages. 

October 24, 2022 8:40 pm  #3

I don't listen to "The Rush" much, but saw a quip a week or two ago on a 1010 Facebook unofficial listener page to the effect of, "Why call it The Rush with Reshmi and Scott and promote it so heavily that way if they're never there together at the same time?"      

Poster was not wrong - with Reshmi doing CTV morning TV show fill-in and various summer holidays, etc., and now this, the duo seems to be apart more than they've been together.

Last edited by AspectRatio (October 24, 2022 8:40 pm)

October 25, 2022 2:08 pm  #4

No "Filling in for Scott" mentioned today.  Just "Guest Host Matt Gurney". 

October 28, 2022 5:03 pm  #5

Three full weeks.  Still MIA. 

October 28, 2022 6:15 pm  #6

Walter wrote:

Three full weeks.  Still MIA. 

Seems to be slight wording changes on John Moore's panelist introduction of Nair in the mornings this past week, I've noticed. I could swear I remember Moore previously saying "Co-host of 'The Rush' with Scott MacArthur" - really working that branding and trying to make the names stick - and now it's a shorter "Co-host of 'The Rush' ". I suppose we shouldn't read too much into it, it's foolish to promote a person by name that isn't there even if they're on vacation or short-term leave and the rotating co-hosts are in.

October 28, 2022 6:57 pm  #7

The commissar vanishes.

October 28, 2022 7:34 pm  #8

Erm, who's steering Good Ship 1010 these days. Robert Turner?

Hope things for everyone get sorted out by Christmas, before the game of musical chairs starts to sound like, " sitting in for Deb Hutton, who is now sitting in for..."

If Scott is off on a mental and/or physical health break, I wish him well.

Last edited by betaylored (October 28, 2022 8:09 pm)

October 28, 2022 10:08 pm  #9

betaylored wrote:

Erm, who's steering Good Ship 1010 these days. Robert Turner?

Jeff MacDonald, I believe - "Program Director, TSN 1050 and Newstalk 1010". Kind of shameful on its own that he's splitting both, but a sign of the times (and Bell's attitude) - once upon a time the mightiest of stations, complete with a bustling newsroom and packed with original programming (even on weekends) would require a full-time PD of the station's own. That said, Robert Turner in an Assistant PD role probably doing a certain amount of the heavy lifting too.

October 31, 2022 2:15 pm  #10

Week 4.  Still MIA.

October 31, 2022 8:40 pm  #11

Not sure why some of you try to find out personal info. Maybe he's ill. if he's been fired, so be it. Just because it's radio, it's NONE of your business. Lots of stalking going on.....

October 31, 2022 9:04 pm  #12

Definitely not fired. They keep saying the rotating co-host is "in for Scott MacArthur." So he's still working there, even if he's not on the air for whatever reason.

And you're correct - it's really not anyone's business. But nature abhors a vacuum and if they're going to keep advertising the duo on air constantly in promos in all dayparts, curious listeners are naturally going to fill in the spaces if they aren't given any other clues. Right or wrong, that's just human nature. Perhaps if they just generically announced he was "under the weather," that would silence the rumours. Instead, there's nothing.

The same thing happened with Jim Richards after he disappeared for 6 months-plus.  

October 31, 2022 9:19 pm  #13

Not nature, you abhor a vacuum...Glad you are not my neighbour....You are not a very nice....just nosy..

October 31, 2022 9:21 pm  #14

I personally hope he's well and comes back soon. He's the only one on that show who's listenable on a regular basis. His co-host is horrible on air and is the main reason I've tuned out of the afternoon drive program. 

October 31, 2022 9:23 pm  #15

peter wrote:

Not nature, you abhor a vacuum...Glad you are not my neighbour....You are not a very nice....just nosy..

Whether he likes it or not, Scott MacArthur is a public figure. And promoted heavily on his name and reputation for this new duo pairing. He signed up for this kind of interest and scrutiny when he took the gig (and well knows that); whether that's people complimenting him on a show, sending him angry mail about it, or simply wondering about why he's not on air to complete lack of any explanation. Complaining about being "nosy" on this forum, which is about the ins and outs of the industry and its people, is a bit rich.

November 7, 2022 6:09 pm  #16

Walter wrote:

Week 4.  Still MIA.

Bob Reid is the co-host today on The Rush. Only tuned in for a few minutes to hear him, he's always a pro, and the intro was simply " You're listening to The Rush." no names mentioned.

Last edited by betaylored (November 7, 2022 6:11 pm)

November 7, 2022 10:53 pm  #17

peter wrote:

And you’re the neighbour down the hall from the mass murderer who heard the screams and smelled the smells but “never thought much of it.”

Last edited by Tomas Barlow (November 8, 2022 2:01 am)

November 8, 2022 6:09 pm  #18

betaylored wrote:

Walter wrote:

Week 4.  Still MIA.

Bob Reid is the co-host today on The Rush. Only tuned in for a few minutes to hear him, he's always a pro, and the intro was simply " You're listening to The Rush." no names mentioned.

Fill-in co-host Deb Hutton mentioned on Tuesday that she's not only in this week, but next as well. So whatever is keeping MacArthur away, he'll be gone for at least another week after this one. 

November 9, 2022 2:25 pm  #19

RadioActive wrote:

betaylored wrote:

Walter wrote:

Week 4.  Still MIA.

Fill-in co-host Deb Hutton mentioned on Tuesday that she's not only in this week, but next as well. So whatever is keeping MacArthur away, he'll be gone for at least another week after this one. 

Listening yesterday, I could tell there is no love lost between Reshmi and Deb.  I like Deb and I think the dynamic between the two, while rather frosty, makes for a good afternoon show.  Take Reshmi down a peg or two.  

November 9, 2022 4:38 pm  #20

Deb Hutton has a very measured PR-trained delivery that's good on radio and helps offset her loathsome opinions and worldview. I can see why the station keeps leaning on her for support.

November 28, 2022 5:49 pm  #21

2 months and counting MIA, with no explanation of any kind.  Hope he's okay.

November 28, 2022 6:03 pm  #22

CFRB seems to have a penchant for doing this. First it was Ryan Doyle who disappeared without a trace and then was suddenly no longer being mentioned. Jim Richards, who's now back, suffered the same fate. And now Scott McArthur. I can't recall ever hearing a major market station have so many absences with so little explanation.

I'm not saying they need to reveal anything personal, just perhaps a hint - "I'm [insert name] in for Scott, who's on leave and will return soon." Even that would be helpful. Instead, he's vanished without a trace into what's quickly becoming the Bermuda Triangle of radio personalities. 

November 28, 2022 6:10 pm  #23

Coming soon to a theatre near you, "1010The Broadcast Bermuda Triangle"  presented in glorious one dimensional mono.

November 28, 2022 6:39 pm  #24

Matt Gurney, former AM640 morning co-host and later midday host on that station, was the co-host du jour of The Rush today.
For what it's worth, any substitute they have on air still says they're "in for Scott MacArthur" but that's all.

Last edited by eladb (November 28, 2022 6:40 pm)

November 28, 2022 6:47 pm  #25

Stinand wrote:

Coming soon to a theatre near you, "1010The Broadcast Bermuda Triangle"  presented in glorious one dimensional mono.

Unfortunately, the host of that movie will disappear with no explanation and someone else will have to take their place. 

January 3, 2023 3:39 pm  #26

Still MIA?

January 3, 2023 5:07 pm  #27

cash wrote:

Still MIA?

Yes...Bob Reid is in today.

January 3, 2023 5:12 pm  #28

What's interesting to me is that while they were airing rerolls during the long holiday layoff, they introduced "The Rush" segments as normally being hosted by Reshmi Nair and Scott MacArthur, even though none of the pieces they broadcast featured the latter.

If he was gone permanently, you'd think they would have avoided mentioning his name at all.  

Curiouser and curiouser, cried Alice. 

January 3, 2023 5:51 pm  #29

As recently as last week, when Mark Towhey was filling in on The Rush, he mentioned he was "filling in for Reshmi and Scott". I guess MacArthur isn't gone for good as of right now.

January 20, 2023 1:19 am  #30

Looks like Scott is no longer listed on the show webpage. It’s just “THE RUSH WITH RESHMI NAIR.”

https://www.iheartradio.ca/newstalk-1010/shows/the-rush-with-reshmi-nair-1.17518665