sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 28, 2016 2:48 pm  #1

Newstalk Traffic Reporter

I've heard her say it a hundred times, and listened carefully, but I haven't a clue what 1010's new traffic reporter's name is.  Website was no help, either.  Anyone?

Last edited by Charlie (July 28, 2016 2:49 pm)

July 28, 2016 3:17 pm  #2

Re: Newstalk Traffic Reporter

Funny, I was wondering the exact same thing. She's good but that name is certainly a mouthful. I'd love to see how it's spelled.

Iain, any help on that front?

Last edited by RadioActive (July 28, 2016 3:18 pm)

July 28, 2016 3:45 pm  #3

Just like it sounds ;).

Adwoa Nsiah Yeboa

Ig

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

July 28, 2016 3:47 pm  #4

I guess radio people don't have the internet or access to Google

http://www.trafficnet.ca/about.php

July 28, 2016 4:17 pm  #5

grilled.cheese wrote:

I have both, and I don't work in radio. Just an regular listener.  Checked their site with no luck.
Thanks to Ig for the helpful, and non-snarky, reply.

July 28, 2016 6:09 pm  #6

Jody Thornton is easier to pronounce 

July 28, 2016 7:11 pm  #7

Never heard of her.

July 28, 2016 8:43 pm  #8

grilled.cheese wrote:

So he was supposed to Google someone whose name he didn't know who wasn't on the station website?  You come along two minutes after the name is posted so you were able to Google it and act all smug.  

This place sometimes.

July 28, 2016 9:18 pm  #9

Prod Guy wrote:

grilled.cheese wrote:

So he was supposed to Google someone whose name he didn't know who wasn't on the station website?  You come along two minutes after the name is posted so you were able to Google it and act all smug.  

Yes, that's right.

July 28, 2016 10:07 pm  #10

Prod Guy wrote:

grilled.cheese wrote:

This place sometimes.

That's the main reason I hardly ever post here any more ... too many threads with posts like that. I used to do research for a living, and I probably couldn't have come up with her name either. 

July 29, 2016 4:43 am  #11

grilled.cheese wrote:

Problem with internet search engines is you enter the phonetic equivalent of something like Adwoa Nsiah Yeboa and something entirely different, for example Kim Kardashian having sex with a German Shepherd may appear (not that there's anything wrong with that)

July 29, 2016 5:25 am  #12

Lorne wrote:

That's the main reason I hardly ever post here any more ... too many threads with posts like that. I used to do research for a living, and I probably couldn't have come up with her name either. 

Thank-you Lorne.  
I have to agree with you. This is one name I never would have found either.

July 29, 2016 5:45 am  #13

I like the helicopter blades navigation icon tool on the website.

It's Friday. I'm tired and easily amused.

July 29, 2016 9:21 am  #14

I have to admit I was thinking the same thing about her name.  Thanks to Charlie for being brave and creating this thread.

To be honest, it's become a distraction from the traffic report because each time I found myself preparing to try to decipher her name.  Her delivery is perfect -- right up until she says her name.  All she needs to do is correct a simple rookie mistake.  Slow down and enunciate when pronouncing her own name.

Jody Thornton, as an example, has it down.  He takes his time and his last name doesn't come off sounding as "Thorton" or even "Thorn"

I remember back in my college days one of our instructors had to beat into us that we needed to enunciate when pronouncing our own names.  Even folks in very anglo-saxon names tend to slur or race through their own names.  You hear it a lot when calling someone at a business and getting their voicemail.

But at least now that I know how it's pronounced, I can listen this afternoon with distraction.  

July 29, 2016 9:53 am  #15

Peter the K wrote:

Jody Thornton, as an example, has it down.  He takes his time and his last name doesn't come off sounding as "Thorton" or even "Thorn"

Up here when FM 104.1 the DOCK dedicates a tune as for example "Thornton, this one's for you", even though it was dedicated to the Simcoe County village on hwy 27, we think kindly of Jody and on weekends often switch to 1010 CFRB just to hear him pronounce his name correctly

July 29, 2016 1:31 pm  #16

I'm suddenly reminded of how years ago the first thing a new employee at CKPC would be taught is that it's pronounced "Brant-ford" and not "Brantferd"

Kind of like Sud-bury vs. Sud-berry.

July 29, 2016 2:40 pm  #17

It wasn’t all that long ago that on-air voices would have to change their names if they were too difficult to pronounce, remember or promote. And sometimes they took it to ridiculous lengths. Anyone recall when CFTO forced then-anchor Gord Martineau to shorten his name to “Gord Martin?” He hated that, but it was a big time anchor position on the major newscast in the top market for big bucks, so he did it.

And then the pendulum slowly began swinging the other way as the city became more multicultural, with stations jumping all over themselves to woo ethnic communities. City TV was especially into this trend. Laura DiBattista’s married name was Lori Daniels. But Moses Znaimer made her change it back to DiBattista and insisted “Laura” be pronounced La-Ura, to sound more Italian.

Which is why Anne Mroczkowski was never asked to alter her surname, which is also a mouthful. And I’m pretty sure I spelled it right!

Funny how times change. In this case, I think, for the better.

Which leads to that old radio joke on this topic. “The last station I worked for everyone used a phony name. I mean everyone. Even the men’s room was called a “George.” 

July 29, 2016 11:05 pm  #18

Ms. Nsaih-Yeboa, Peter the K, does indeed have a great delivery, save for those three words. I'm glad someone else noticed her talent, as well. To me she also sounds far more mature than her apparent age.

(there's just so much wrong with radio, it's nice to say something nice about someone instead.)

July 31, 2016 11:36 pm  #19

gone are the days when you were told to change your name so a new batch of jingles didn't have to be made.

August 2, 2016 8:40 am  #20

When she did traffic on 102.1 The Edge, we just called her "Adj".

August 2, 2016 9:44 am  #21

Typical of the white man.  First he takes our land now he wants our names. 

August 2, 2016 5:48 pm  #22

Can anyone tell me where my old pal Bob Summers has gone ??

I used to see him often on City t.v. with his traffic updates but it's been a while now and no Bob...

I knew him years ago long before he became Bob "Summers"...

Just curious...

"I'll kick your ass down Yonge Street"... CFTR's Robert Holiday circa 1979...

August 2, 2016 5:54 pm  #23

unclefester wrote:

Can anyone tell me where my old pal Bob Summers has gone ??

I used to see him often on City t.v. with his traffic updates but it's been a while now and no Bob...

I knew him years ago long before he became Bob "Summers"...

Just curious...

BOB stayed with CHUM when Rogers left 299 queen. He's on CP24 https://twitter.com/bobtraffic