sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 20, 2022 9:27 pm  #1

Coast Appliances

I guess they are the new Omni Jewelers/Korry's Clothiers. Never heard of this company before all the recent radio ads. 

October 20, 2022 10:18 pm  #2

Re: Coast Appliances

I absolutely hate commercials that use children to play either smart-mouthed or naïve foils for the business in question.
That stupid kid who doesn't know where Mississauga is and thinks it is Mrs Auga just drives me up the wall.
Also enough with the stupid bloody Spence Diamonds nonsense.
After pretending they sell bargain diamonds they tell you they will sell you a four thousand dollar men's ring?
Really?
Is their customer Al Capone?
As for Tom of Tom's suits his oily sycophantic diatribes are gag inducing.

October 20, 2022 10:32 pm  #3

Those ads with the kid don't bother me as much as they seem to bug you. But if I hear that stupid spot with Charlotte The Junk Fairy, which seems to play every single break, one more time, I may smash the radio. And then, I suppose, I really will have "Got Junk." 

October 20, 2022 10:37 pm  #4

I think they should hire George Noori as their spokesman and then it could be Coast To Coast Appliances!

October 20, 2022 11:18 pm  #5

But then if the junk just disappeared would it have been abducted?

October 26, 2022 4:23 pm  #6

I didn't think it possible for Coast Appliances ads featuring totally phony granddaughter 'Olivia' to be any worse, but the new one with gramps 'whispering' the whole cringe-worthy thing proved me wrong.

October 26, 2022 4:29 pm  #7

Walter wrote:

I didn't think it possible for Coast Appliances ads featuring totally phony granddaughter 'Olivia' to be any worse, but the new one with gramps 'whispering' the whole cringe-worthy thing proved me wrong.

Yes, actively "creepy" even. I guess Bell turfed all the good in-house ad copywriters and radio "creative" teams.

October 27, 2022 11:18 am  #8

newsguy1 wrote:

After pretending they sell bargain diamonds they tell you they will sell you a four thousand dollar men's ring?
Really?

I have my radio play through my PC and I have a script that mutes it for 58 seconds as soon as the commercial comes on.  As soon as I hear "Callum", I click over to the terminal window and start that script.

Luckily, since Kelly Cutrara has moved time slot, I now listen to her on CHML on 95.3 HD3.  I listen to this station instead of 640 Toronto when she comes on in the afternoon so I have a few hours I can avoid the stupid commercial completely.

October 27, 2022 3:29 pm  #9

Why is Newstalk still running the pandemic ad from Cherry "Look after yourself, promise me." Tab. It needs to be updated or at least switched out to the pre Covid copy.

Movember is on the way, and the writing for the spot was simple and powerful, the voice actor nailed it.🧔

Last edited by betaylored (October 27, 2022 3:32 pm)

November 5, 2022 4:05 pm  #10

I'm trying to train my Alexa device to automatically turn off if a Coast Appliances ad comes on.  No luck yet, but it's worth trying.

November 6, 2022 9:13 am  #11

betaylored wrote:

Movember is on the way, and the writing for the spot was simple and powerful, the voice actor nailed it.🧔

I agree with betaylored on this one. However, the state of radio commercials copy/concepts
is fairly amateur these days. Recycled ideas poorly executed for the most part, and some not-so-talented
voice-talents do not help the situation.

November 11, 2022 3:32 pm  #12

Walter wrote:

And now there's a new one - this time, the little girl talks about FOMO - Fear of Missing Out - which, of course, grandpa has never heard of. What's stunning is at one point he mispronounces it as "MoFo." 

Are they aware of what that slang actually means? I can't believe they'd go there. But they did. 

November 11, 2022 3:59 pm  #13

RadioActive wrote:

Walter wrote:

And now there's a new one - this time, the little girl talks about FOMO - Fear of Missing Out - which, of course, grandpa has never heard of. What's stunning is at one point he mispronounces it as "MoFo." 

Are they aware of what that slang actually means? I can't believe they'd go there. But they did. 

I mutter 'Mofo' every time one of their miserable ads comes on, but I pronounce the long version.

November 11, 2022 5:05 pm  #14

RadioActive wrote:

Walter wrote:

Imagine the voice actor reading the copy for the first time, and then having to ... say the words, with a straight face.

November 11, 2022 5:14 pm  #15

Shorty Wave wrote:

betaylored wrote:

I agree with betaylored on this one. However, the state of radio commercials copy/concepts
is fairly amateur these days. Recycled ideas poorly executed for the most part, and some not-so-talented
voice-talents do not help the situation.

There used to be a noticeable difference between in-house commercials done by the stations for their own use, and big money spots done by the pro studios, now, not so much.

November 11, 2022 7:43 pm  #16

newsguy1 wrote:

You're not alone in the GTA with those garbage ads... we hear them on Ottawa radio as well, including Hot 89.9, which my wife usually plays in the car. Couldn't believe they were even advertising on Barrie TV in the early '90s... "The W/O/C Archive" on YouTube has one compilation of ads from CKVR that has a few Spence spots. In Renfrew County, however, we've been mostly spared annoying ads on local radio, aside from a car dealer or two.

On a related note, as a Collingwood native, I was sort of brought up on 'VR's programming, and that YouTube channel is chock full of good local '80s and '90s commercials from channel 3, a bunch of which were voiced by the late Bill Cosworth (ex of CHAY and Rock 95), as well as CKVR staff announcer Doug Moyle, and local radio personality Brian Heyworth. The W/O/C Archive also has a ton of memorable local jingles from my childhood, such as those of Foley's Furniture, Huronia Ford, Herbie's, Fern Resort, and Paul Sadlon GM. Still trying to track down the jingle from Dunlop's of Moonstone.

November 13, 2022 4:39 pm  #17

newsguy1 wrote:

Really?
Is their customer Al Capone?

Their new spots are, if anything, even worse. One advertises diamonds for "only" $7,000! Another speaks of the bargain price of almost $27,000 (actually $26,999, because, well, you know that's so much cheaper!) That's practically the price of a new car! 

What I want to know is who do they think is listening to this? What kind of demos are they expecting to be talking to that can possibly afford this kind of impossible luxury spending in the middle of one of the worst periods of inflation in recent history? I mean good luck to them, but it just sounds so out of touch - especially when they quote that $26-plus grand price and one of them exclaims "wow," as if to say, 'man that's a real bargain.' 

I'm not sure exceedingly rich people are locked into 1010 and 640, which is where I most often hear their spots.  When you can barely afford a lettuce, I'm not sure who is lining up to buy a $27,000 diamond.

November 13, 2022 4:56 pm  #18

The spence diamond spots, from the initial screaming and definitely the current 'Malcolm' ones, are, in my opinion, where Roy H. Williams jumped the shark.  Just far too cool for the room.   When you can identify the spots not because they're great work, but because they 'fit' the formula, it's time to move on.

That's the problem with creative types, they have to keep being creative, even if the creativity isn't that great.  And to make matters worse, they inadvertently surround themselves with people who support everything they do, good or bad, because if 'they' did it, 'it' must be great. 

That being said, for all I know Spence don't deal with WOA any more, figuring they 'get' how it works and can now 'do it' by themselves.  And to be honest, that's more what it sounds like.  That would be a bit of a relief if it's true.

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

November 13, 2022 5:38 pm  #19

RadioActive wrote:

I'm not sure exceedingly rich people are locked into 1010 and 640, which is where I most often hear their spots.  When you can barely afford a lettuce, I'm not sure who is lining up to buy a $27,000 diamond.

To say nothing of a 'small regional jewellery business' that seems to be able to afford both these huge purchases and such frenzied commercial saturation.

November 13, 2022 7:44 pm  #20

If Spence or Coastal were not advertising, more people would be out of a job.

If the spots bother you, turn the sound down