sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 26, 2016 10:59 am  #31

Re: The axe falls again at Corus

Kool Kitchener is the next Virgin Radio.

July 26, 2016 3:30 pm  #32

cookie cutter you say?...  a born again Virgin perhaps...

July 26, 2016 4:00 pm  #33

Don is usually very good at knowing what's next.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

July 26, 2016 5:52 pm  #34

if they do turn KOOL into Virgin it will be rather confusing because you can hear Virgin Toronto and London in KW already... but they probably don't care.

July 26, 2016 6:06 pm  #35

zed wrote:

if they do turn KOOL into Virgin it will be rather confusing because you can hear Virgin Toronto and London in KW already... but they probably don't care.

The sales team for Virgin Kitchener will just say "Nobody's gonna go all the way out to Toronto or London to shop..."
It will be convincing enough to generate local Kitchener ad revenue for a Virgin 105 FM, no doubt, should they choose to go ahead with the Virgin radio format in Kitchener...

As long as there is a local morning and afternoon drive, it will still be better than the Energy mistake that Corus made back in the day...

Last edited by Radiowiz (July 26, 2016 6:07 pm)

July 26, 2016 7:22 pm  #36

Virgin Toronto and Virgin London have an almost identical playlist. If KOOL becomes Virgin Kitchener-Waterloo it can be either a really good CHR or a bland carbon copy of Toronto and London with a morning show and afternoon drive show sandwiching a midday of Ryan Seacrest and a weekend filled with American Top 40. Before CFCA (KOOL) and CKKW (K-Fun) were bought by CHUM, CKKW was one of the best Top 40 stations (AM109) around, including Toronto, Hamilton & London. However, the current ownership and management is vastly different form the AM109 days. While the music played by KOOL was all over the map, another unimaginative boring CHR is not what the K-W market needs. It will be interesting to see how it does against the long established K-W CHR 91.5 The Beat. In most markets where there is a Virgin CHR, it is the leading CHR.The exception is Edmonton where it is behind two other CHR's. In London it is the only CHR and  consistently ranks #2 or 3 among all stations.

July 26, 2016 8:36 pm  #37

They do very well with the CHR format, generally. Though Toronto's been on a bit of a down-trend, and Winnipeg and Calgary have lost a little ground to KiSS, but still lead. Corus only has two -- Beat is un-chanllenged locally and does well enough, and Ottawa is stuck mid-gear.

Bounce Halifax will flip Friday too.

Last edited by Don (July 26, 2016 8:38 pm)

July 26, 2016 11:37 pm  #38

Radiowiz wrote:

The sales team for Virgin Kitchener will just say "Nobody's gonna go all the way out to Toronto or London to shop..."
It will be convincing enough to generate local Kitchener ad revenue for a Virgin 105 FM, no doubt, should they choose to go ahead with the Virgin radio format in Kitchener...

As long as there is a local morning and afternoon drive, it will still be better than the Energy mistake that Corus made back in the day...

agree Radiowiz  

also, as 105.3 Virgin radio they will give Corus' The Beat 91.5 a run for their money.

Last edited by zed (July 26, 2016 11:38 pm)

July 27, 2016 3:36 pm  #39

Friday at 11 am will be Big 101 in Barrie. Website all but confirms it

July 27, 2016 6:04 pm  #40

You can put a pretty pink ribbon on a pig but it is still a pig, and until Corus learns the importance of Local, their product in the Barrie market will still be terrible.​Not optimistic that will happen with the gassing of all in the news department last week, and announcers using their 3 breaks an hour to drive people to their website to watch stupid videos stolen from YouTube instead of talking about what is happening in their own backyard. 

July 27, 2016 11:11 pm  #41

Just a Radio Fan wrote:

You can put a pretty pink ribbon on a pig but it is still a pig, and until Corus learns the importance of Local, their product in the Barrie market will still be terrible.​Not optimistic that will happen with the gassing of all in the news department last week, and announcers using their 3 breaks an hour to drive people to their website to watch stupid videos stolen from YouTube instead of talking about what is happening in their own backyard. 

To be fair, the ratings sucked when they had a news department and the corporate policy didn't have them driving people to their Facebook and website in every break.  It's a case of too many stations in one market going after young females, and zero visibility.

July 28, 2016 11:51 am  #42

Listening online to b101 and they keep running promos about the website which just has the countdown clock on it. Also it sounds like there is no on air staff right now. So wonder who is left there?

July 29, 2016 6:26 am  #43

brian451 wrote:

Friday at 11 am will be Big 101 in Barrie. Website all but confirms it

NOON!

July 29, 2016 9:20 am  #44

10:30 in Newfoundland...

July 29, 2016 10:45 am  #45

Glen Warren wrote:

10:30 in Newfoundland...

If you're aware of a format change in Newfoundland, please do share with us!

July 29, 2016 11:19 am  #46

Happened to be in Barrie last night driving around and noticed in typical Corus fashion, no promotion of any changes.  Nothing driving listeners to check out what is new, no billboards, signs, no hint of something "Big" being unveiled.   
Wouldn't a little promotion for something like this be a good thing ?

July 29, 2016 12:25 pm  #47

101.1 big fm is live. The website doesn't seem to be. You go to b101fm.com and it redirects to a site that doesn't load yet.
Also even though it's bell and was hijacking this thread a little Kitchener and Halifax are now virgin radio. Halifax was a name change only. Kool is playing 5000 songs in a row right now

July 29, 2016 3:49 pm  #48

Playlist is 50% Rock 95 and 50% 104.1 the Dock, which ain't a bad thing particularly with no commercials all weekend.    But when the announcer says "you're listening to 101.1 the BIG FM" it sounds too close to "95.1 the PEAK FM" which is a few miles west on Hwy 26 and that subtle relationship is not likely to help them (unless they intend to do something positive with the PEAK)

July 29, 2016 7:10 pm  #49

The Waterloo Record has this to say about Kool-FM changes:

Kool-FM becomes Virgin Radio

July 31, 2016 11:55 am  #50

Kilgore wrote:

when the announcer says "you're listening to 101.1 the BIG FM" it sounds too close to "95.1 the PEAK FM" which is a few miles west on Hwy 26

ANOTHER:   "you may be new to Barrie, but you already know our music".      Of course we know your music, which has been played to death on Rock 95; please dig deeper into the vault

July 31, 2016 1:24 pm  #51

Kilgore wrote:

Kilgore wrote:

when the announcer says "you're listening to 101.1 the BIG FM" it sounds too close to "95.1 the PEAK FM" which is a few miles west on Hwy 26

ANOTHER:   "you may be new to Barrie, but you already know our music".      Of course we know your music, which has been played to death on Rock 95; please dig deeper into the vault

I had the pleasure of listening to free SiriusXM a few weeks back and never left CH 27,

hence my choice of username. I was a subscriber but due to financial constraints I allowed it to lapse.

My new work commute sees me on the road a minimum of 3 hours a day in good weather and non-rush hour traffic.There is no shortage of stations I can receive but there are none I want to listen to. I wasn't believing for a second B101 would be the 'one' that change that either.

And when I said "stations I can receive but there are none I want to listen to" there is one I, but  can't really receive it.

92.3 NISH-FM, broadcasts from Georgina Island. Their playlist is much like DeepTracks and I want to tune-in, but the problem is there signal is so very weak that I can't. By the time I can start to hear them my radio can also start to pick-up 92.3, The Dock in Orillia, and it doesn't know which one to stay latched on to.When it does favour NISH, what I hear is what I want to hear - 'B'-sides, the third cut in on side two of an album, songs never heard on terrestrial radio at any time. I gave thought to my iPhone but they do not have an internet stream.

Screw the 'Q', the 'B', the "Rock's', the 'Dock's, and the 'Moose'. Here's a tagline you could all share the cost of producing..."We're ALL the same, ALL time!

August 3, 2016 12:58 am  #52

The Barrie Examiner has an article about the changes at 101, including what can no longer really be called "newscasts."

http://www.thebarrieexaminer.com/2016/08/02/new-format-brings-changes-to-barrie-radio-station

August 3, 2016 5:46 am  #53

RadioActive wrote:

The Barrie Examiner has an article about the changes

​the Examiner's statement that Barrie is all about blue collar, working class is challengeable.     Subdivisions of luxury condos & s.f. homes are going up around the south shore of Lake Simcoe, all with direct access to the ever-expanding GO-train service.   Buyers are young high-techies who work at I.B.M. and its spin-offs in Markham (but can't afford Markham prices).   The blue collar segment is building those structures.     Barrie is still another white collar bedroom community to Toronto (like Waterloo, Guelph and Aurora)

August 3, 2016 9:19 am  #54

Wisely leaving zika-spreading mosquitos at Sugar Beach behind for Torontonians to deal with

August 3, 2016 11:08 am  #55

RadioActive wrote:

The Barrie Examiner has an article about the changes at 101, including what can no longer really be called "newscasts."

http://www.thebarrieexaminer.com/2016/08/02/new-format-brings-changes-to-barrie-radio-station

I wonder what the late Wendy Hicks would have thought about all this ??

August 4, 2016 6:07 am  #56

Just a Radio Fan wrote:

Happened to be in Barrie last night driving around and noticed in typical Corus fashion, no promotion of any changes.  Nothing driving listeners to check out what is new, no billboards, signs, no hint of something "Big" being unveiled.   Wouldn't a little promotion for something like this be a good thing ?

Do you ever watch TV (of course, few do anymore) but BIG is running TV spots.    "a great day for ROCK radio" was considered but John Oakley is said to have exercised his veto

August 4, 2016 10:57 am  #57

grilled.cheese wrote:

John Oakley's bailiwick is the human condition

If not for Father Oakley we Catholics would still be going to McDonalds on Fridays for Filet-o-fish instead of High Street for the halibut

August 4, 2016 6:02 pm  #58

Rock 95 has countered with its own TV spots.  Can Bayshore be far behind?

August 5, 2016 12:52 pm  #59

If it's 8:30 and I'm in my car and you don't have news on your station I'm not waiting to get to work to Google the news...  I'm going to hit seek.

Handing your listeners to the competition twice an hour all morning long isn't a strategy I would endorse.

Last edited by Prod Guy (August 5, 2016 12:54 pm)

August 5, 2016 1:00 pm  #60

I typically ready my news on my phone from 6-620am followed by hearing what CP24 spits out on the tube until I leave the house, by 830 I only care about up to date traffic reports and someone entertaining to listen to.