sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 20, 2016 1:07 pm  #1

The axe falls again at Corus

Not sure if any other markets are impacted but apparently there were more cuts at Corus, this time in the Barrie market.​Not confirmed but apparently the news department is gone as is at least one of the announcers.Heard of any others ?  

July 20, 2016 1:29 pm  #2

Re: The axe falls again at Corus

could Corus be making room (financially) to take on a super star like Chuck McCoy?

July 20, 2016 1:36 pm  #3

geo wrote:

could Corus be making room (financially) to take on a super star like Chuck McCoy?

Don't think they could afford him...

May have been able to make a deal as recently as yesterday but with Chuck's new found surge in popularity he's got to be out of their reach...

Nowadays you  just mention the name Chuck McCoy and the crowd goes wild !!!

Last edited by unclefester (July 20, 2016 1:38 pm)

July 20, 2016 3:38 pm  #4

Is this the kind of radio Chuck was thanking the man in the sky for?

July 21, 2016 10:23 am  #5

The quick recap of Corus and CHAY-FM is:  About 15 years ago, Corus took over the popular soft rock station from Shaw Communications that boasted a regional audience of a quarter million listeners, a 2 share in Toronto and sold out dayparts seven days a week, dumped the format (and the audience), dismissed the talent, and began the process of flipping formats every year or two.  Energy Radio drove any remaining listeners in the 25-54, 25-64 demo away and wiped out the large advertising base. Corus Barrie has been spinning in circles ever since.  The latest format flip, Fresh Radio, is a canned juke box that is making many of the same deadly mistakes Energy Radio did by ignoring the real size and potential audience of the market.  Wiping out the newsroom at a 100,000 watt station that can be heard from Toronto to Huntsville is unbelievable.  What will they do next?  Probably network the Fresh Radio format, program it from London and fire a few more folks.          

Last edited by PaulR (July 21, 2016 11:00 am)

July 21, 2016 10:56 am  #6

The radio announcer gone is afternoon drive host Shawn Turner. 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

July 21, 2016 12:53 pm  #7

And perhaps more changes ahead for the recently unveiled FRESH/Barrie.  
There are rumors that another format/imaging change is coming on Monday.
Stay tuned.

July 21, 2016 1:31 pm  #8

Another format change?  Why not!  Since CHAY-FM's successful light rock format was abandoned  following the arrival of Corus on the scene, here are the brands:

Play FM  (that was a beauty!)
Energy Radio  (a disaster!)
FM 93
the new CHAY
CHAY TODAY @ 93.1
FRESH RADIO

Six format/branding changes in 15 years, with a revolving door of talent at every day part.
Can't wait to see what the deep thinkers at Corus march out this time!

July 21, 2016 5:16 pm  #9

PaulR wrote:

Since CHAY-FM's successful light rock format was abandoned  following the arrival of Corus on the scene, here are the brands:
 - Play FM  (that was a beauty!)
 - Energy Radio  (a disaster!)
 - FM 93
 - the new CHAY
 - CHAY TODAY @ 93.1
 - FRESH RADIO

It is generally referred to up here as Simcoe County's variety station because you never know what the hell will be next

July 21, 2016 6:29 pm  #10

Just a Radio Fan wrote:

There are rumors that another format/imaging change is coming on Monday.
Stay tuned.

Is there a hole in the Barrie market for another one of Corus's cookie cutters? 
What now? Boom Barrie? 

July 21, 2016 8:41 pm  #11

Close, RW....

July 21, 2016 8:54 pm  #12

It doesn't help that there has never been any evidence of a promotions budget.  Last summer when I was through the station was invisible.  Fresh was live at a hole in the wall restaurant off the beaten path with no parking.  It's like they were trying to avoid being noticed.  I always see Rock 95 and Kool FM logos plastered all over the city.  Shawn Turner wasn't the problem.  Having two stations under one roof playing music that compete with each other is a huge problem.  Look at every small and medium market you can think of.  How many have THREE stations going after the same slice of the pie?  Heck, how many have two stations owned by the same company going after the same slice of the pie?  The program director and music director need to go or someone at Corus's head office who made that decision.  If 93.1 goes country that station is a winner in 6 months.  IF they let people know they aren't playing elevator music anymore.  They never done that up till now.  But I predict B101 will become Jump solving none of their problems.

Last edited by Prod Guy (July 21, 2016 9:22 pm)

July 21, 2016 9:14 pm  #13

I was born in Barrie...

I come from sturdy peasent stock...

Many years ago Barrie was the proud home of Moldex (toilet seats) whose slogan was ..."born in Barrie...raised everywhere"....and Tambrands (ladies tampons). There is no truth to the rumor that their slogan was...."we're not number one but we're right up there"...(I made that one up)

Reading this thread makes me a wee bit sad...

I gather times are tough in my old home town and that's a pity....

Barrie's  good old days....Moldex toilet seats....Tambrands tampons ....and me....

Two out of three ain't bad...

Last edited by unclefester (July 21, 2016 9:54 pm)

July 21, 2016 10:00 pm  #14

From what I have heard is Shawn Turner left because he wanted to go to B101 once the new format takes place Monday on Fresh.
As for Fresh the problem is the playlist is very similar to B101 and as someone pointed out you can't compete with your sister station. The indication I have seen is fresh is going big and there won't be many job losses. In fact a couple fresh DJs will stay on and some will move to other corus owned stations in Ontario. Corus recently made cuts and there are stations with holes to fill. Plus some stations will see on air talent that work at 2 or 3 stations, such as Robin Larose who is middays at Rock 101 Vancouver, Q107 Calgary and big fm Winnipeg. Big is taking over fresh or possibly boom but I think that because newcap owns and licences the name from bell that the agreement between bell, newcap and corus states they can't broadcast a boom in close regions to another. So newcap can't operate boom where corus does or close to it. And vice versa

July 21, 2016 11:31 pm  #15

Prod Guy wrote:

Shawn Turner wasn't the problem.

I agree 100%. Another radio company out there will be glad to have him. 
1220 in St. Catharines could easily throwback to his CJCL days, but I'm guessing he'll land a job with an A/C format in some other market.  

July 22, 2016 12:21 am  #16

brian, shawn left alright... was left out in the cold. he's a good guy and i'm hoping he'll land on his feet!

July 22, 2016 12:39 am  #17

unclefester wrote:

I was born in Barrie...

I come from sturdy peasent stock...

Many years ago Barrie was the proud home of Moldex (toilet seats) whose slogan was ..."born in Barrie...raised everywhere"....and Tambrands (ladies tampons). There is no truth to the rumor that their slogan was...."we're not number one but we're right up there"...(I made that one up)

Reading this thread makes me a wee bit sad...

I gather times are tough in my old home town and that's a pity....

Barrie's  good old days....Moldex toilet seats....Tambrands tampons ....and me....

Two out of three ain't bad...

Speaking  as the only Barrie born native son on this thread may I suggest that Barrie will survive !!!

If they lost the toilet seat factory and the tampon factory they can survive this turmoil too !!

Mark my words...

July 25, 2016 12:12 pm  #18

Any idea of the Barrie flip? If it's happening or when? What it's turning into?

July 25, 2016 1:19 pm  #19

My source at the competition tells me that there was a staff meeting this morning at Corus. There will be a flip and some shuffling of jocks. B101 may not exist in its current form for much longer.
They wouldn't say anything more than that.
If I were at Corus Barrie I'd plug the leak. It seems like someone there immediately tells people at Rock 95 and Kool FM what's happening. I'm willing to bet people there know more than people at B101 and Fresh do.

July 25, 2016 3:18 pm  #20

I'm not surprised. On another board I saw a post and it compared the 2 stations playlists. Talk about stealing listeners from yourself

July 25, 2016 4:00 pm  #21

Rumor: Fresh to Classic Rock or Classic Rock hybrid to take on Rock 95, B101 becomes Fresh.

Talk to the hand!

July 25, 2016 4:37 pm  #22

Roseee wrote:

Rumor: Fresh to Classic Rock or Classic Rock hybrid to take on Rock 95, B101 becomes Fresh.

That explains the Big FM rumour I saw

July 25, 2016 5:07 pm  #23

Rock 95's predominantly classic rock playlist (along with an occasional new tune or two to pretend they're still hip) consists of about 150 tunes...or it sure sounds that way...they have not had to do a thing for years up there cause they owned the market...particularly with cottagers getting hammered by a Muskoka lake on weekends...their drive show in particular is extremely dated...the station is ripe for the picking...you slap a Giant FM / 94.9 The Rock / 97.7 HTZ FM hybrid rocker up there and they would feel it in the short and curlies immediately.

July 25, 2016 5:37 pm  #24

Rock 95's audience is (in addition to Barrie) Toronto commuters and Lake Simcoe & southern Georgian Bay (Wasaga Beach) weekenders.   Competitor is FM 104.1 the Dock, Midland.   Barrie has been a Toronto bedroom community for some time, and with highway development & additional Go-train runs that is increasing by the day.   

Muskoka has the Moose.    Paul Sadlon supports Rock 95 and vice versa

Last edited by geo (July 25, 2016 5:38 pm)

July 25, 2016 6:45 pm  #25

My prediction is that Rock 95 will hardly feel it if Corus tries Rock.

They will do this shuffle, no one will notice because there will be zero promotion, and the existing listeners they do have will be confused. B101 listeners will be gone to Z103 and Virgin, current Fresh listeners will think B101 is still top 40 and jump to Kool. My prediction is after the fall of 2017 Rock and Kool will have their biggest books ever, Corus will be in worse shape than ever, and the managers who have escaped the axe so far will finally have their heads chopped off.

Bingley shouldn't worrying. He should be uncorking some champagne.

July 25, 2016 7:08 pm  #26

Domain regs would point to the original idea being BIG on 93.1, and moving fresh to 101.1. However, most recent domains and social accounts point to 101.1 BIG-FM.

Corus has two BIGs, a Classic Rock in Winnipeg, and a Classic Hits in Kingston. My money's on Classic Hits.

Last edited by Don (July 25, 2016 7:09 pm)

July 25, 2016 7:23 pm  #27

I don't know why you wouldn't put a broad format on your huge signal then promote appropriately.

You're wasting a huge signal on a format that someone already owns in your market if 93.1 goes classic rock. But that's exactly what they'll do because they can't stop tripping over their own feet up there.

I don't think JJ has been there in quite sometime. It seems to me he's working with a community station in Prince Edward County or somewhere near Kingston? I'm certain I read that in Broadcast Dialogue some time ago.

Last edited by Prod Guy (July 25, 2016 7:39 pm)

July 25, 2016 7:58 pm  #28

I don't know the market.  I mean why bother really?  BUT...if you can put a chink in the armor of the 'big fish" and float your 'other' station up that stream toward # 1...that would be a smart move.  It's a chess match.  Fool 'em with foolishness...and benefit from their crappy programming.

Dollars to donuts people are listening to # 1 'cause it's programmed somewhat closer to what they want than the other 'choices'.  Doesn't mean that it's even close to great though.  Just kind of acceptable.  Somewhere in the vicinity of  acceptable is as close as it seems to get most of the time these days.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By the way Corus...nice job on the 6:00ish pm news there Saturday...following the Canadian Open.  Whoops!!!  I've never seen THAT in a major market.  Switch to a re-run in the midst of a TV newscast?  You guys is SHYTE...and then some.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by Old Codger (July 25, 2016 8:04 pm)

July 26, 2016 10:19 am  #29

KOOL-FM 105.3 Kitchener is no more...jocks are not on air...no facebook or twitter and website features a Christmas In July poster w/ a format launch coming at noon Friday....the fiscal year is coming to an end and the changes are coming in a furious manner. 

Last edited by Roseee (July 26, 2016 10:20 am)

Talk to the hand!

July 26, 2016 10:33 am  #30

Roseee wrote:

KOOL-FM 105.3 Kitchener is no more...jocks are not on air...no facebook or twitter and website features a Christmas In July poster w/ a format launch coming at noon Friday....the fiscal year is coming to an end and the changes are coming in a furious manner. 

Being Bell Media, my wildest guess is that they're planning to launch another cookie cutter format that they own.
Kool Kitchener was not a Corus station though, so it won't be "Fresh" or "B" 105, lol