sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 9, 2022 3:54 pm  #1

Does Anyone Remember Ronnie Hawkins' Canadian TV Show?

The late singer was famous for a lot of things in Canada, but I suspect his TV show wasn't one of them. It ran on CTV in 1981 and was called "Honky Tonk." It took place in a club built in a studio (presumably at the CFTO complex) and featured - get this - Eddie Shack as the bartender!

As usual, despite the fact this thing was as obscure as it gets, YouTube has several samples of isolated clips on its site. Here's one of them:

October 9, 2022 5:39 pm  #2

Re: Does Anyone Remember Ronnie Hawkins' Canadian TV Show?

I remember this show, it was only on one season.  CTV naturally gave it a terrible time slot of Friday at 7pm. Variety shows had fallen out of favour by this time and Friday 7pm made this one  DOA.  The sound quality and camera work of Honky Tonk wasn't bad and they featured more than just country artists as guests.

Don't know why RA would say this show was as obscure as it gets.   Eventually everything shows up on Youtube. 

October 9, 2022 6:24 pm  #3

Re: Does Anyone Remember Ronnie Hawkins' Canadian TV Show?

I used the word obscure because I'm sure most people don't remember this show. It wasn't exactly a big success. I have absolutely no memory of it. But Eddie Shack as the bartender? Now, I'm truly sorry I missed it!