sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 6, 2022 8:52 am  #1

WABC Radio's Morning Man Dies Right Before His 65th Birthday

He's not a household name in this area, but everyone in the Big Apple certainly knows the name Bernie McGuirk. He's the co-host of "Bernie & Sid" on WABC, and used to work with radio legend Don Imus. He was just shy of his 65th birthday when he succumbed to prostate cancer. (I'm especially sensitive to this - it's the disease I successfully - so far - beat a few years ago and I also got it at a very young age.)

It's not unusual for a radio personality to pass away, but most of them aren't still on the air, aren't in the biggest media market in the world and aren't quite so young. Which is what makes it so unusual and why I mention it here. 

The station plans a big tribute to their lost morning host on Friday and has an obit on the front of its webpage. 

October 6, 2022 12:38 pm  #2

Re: WABC Radio's Morning Man Dies Right Before His 65th Birthday

Even though I knew this was coming it is still difficult

I listened to Bernie and Sid on their morning show on WABC for the last couple of years

As a team they were wonderful, a breath of fresh air in a city where 8 out of every 9 voters were Democrats.

They espoused their conservative talking points with wit & humour in a sea of left wing liberal NYC loons.

Thanks for the memories Bernie. Rest in peace

Last edited by unclefester (October 6, 2022 12:39 pm)

October 6, 2022 2:46 pm  #3

Bill Dulmage wrote:

The tribute will be on Tuesday

Thanks for the correction. As you can imagine, this is getting big play in media all over New York City. 

Iconic WABC radio host Bernard McGuirk dead at 64

October 6, 2022 5:58 pm  #4

They still have Rudy, Curtis and Bill. I've heard Jay Diamond is starting to stir.

October 12, 2022 12:14 am  #5