sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 19, 2016 9:54 am  #1

Bell Media Radio Hosts Ordered To Keep Quiet About Marineland

An article from Canadaland, which has broken big stories before, cites a memo from a Bell Media PD in the Niagara Region ordering hosts of shows there (i.e. CKTB, EZ Rock and K-Lite) not to discuss the ongoing controversy over the theme park because it's a huge advertiser. 

“In light of Marineland opening and the ongoing controversy I want to make sure we’re all on the same page regarding this client,” program director Sarah Cummings wrote in a May 2014 email sent to radio staff, since obtained by CANADALAND. “I know there are many opinions but I am asking that you please refrain from talking about them on air.

They are an enormous client of Bell Media and I think keeping our coverage to news only is best.”

And although the edict has since either been rescinded or ignored on CKTB, this is a pretty frightening development that has to taint Bell yet again. The article reminds that there was an order posted at Bell about not showing CRTC chair Jean-Pierre Blais after the pick and pay decision - an edict so publicly embarrassing that it cost one high level exec. his job.  

This certainly raises questions about the independence of Bell Media hosts. Some here might think it's inevitable, but I have to say in nearly 40 years in newsrooms, I never had anyone tell me what to write or what story couldn't be covered. Something to keep in mind about what you're hearing on Bell stations - or maybe that should be, what you're NOT hearing.  

Bell Media Radio Hosts Ordered To Keep Quiet About Marineland

Last edited by RadioActive (July 19, 2016 9:56 am)

July 20, 2016 12:20 pm  #2

Re: Bell Media Radio Hosts Ordered To Keep Quiet About Marineland

Looks like they're doing as ordered...

July 20, 2016 3:40 pm  #3

Re: Bell Media Radio Hosts Ordered To Keep Quiet About Marineland

Maybe THIS is the kind of radio Chuck was praising?