sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 4, 2022 11:43 am  #1

Will Bell & Rogers Follow Verizon's Customer Service Bad Faith Move

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottkramer/2022/10/02/verizons-loss-may-well-be-mint-mobiles-gain/

Don't know about the logistics of this, but could this happen here in Canada?

October 4, 2022 12:21 pm  #2

Re: Will Bell & Rogers Follow Verizon's Customer Service Bad Faith Move

I believe it's already in the early stages of happening here. 
My phone is relatively new. (almost two years old) but the phone itself isn't the problem.
I have no 5G. Just 4G. Rogers tells me that because of the deeply discounted plan I have, 5G is not possible and that I must step away from my grandfathered plan and pay for one of the more current ones to make 5G possible.
WOW...Just wow. Thankfully, 4G data is meeting my needs just fine.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

October 4, 2022 2:25 pm  #3

betaylored wrote:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottkramer/2022/10/02/verizons-loss-may-well-be-mint-mobiles-gain/

Don't know about the logistics of this, but could this happen here in Canada?

I'm not sure it could happen in Canada. I cite this part of the article:

"One wireless company that’s intrigued me has been Mint Mobile, which essentially operates on the T-Mobile network at a large discount."

If you remember, the CRTC originally ruled in favour of a price discount for independent ISPs who wanted to access the existing Bell and Rogers networks. And then, a few months later, Chair Ian Scott suddenly and inexplicably decided no, we're not doing that and reversed the decision, sending prices soaring again. After that, he celebrated by going out for a drink with his friend, Bell CEO Mirko Bibic. Nothing to see here, folks. 

So until he's gone and this policy changes, I don't see how you can ever get any "discounts" with the existing giants. Despite the government requesting it be more consumer friendly, the regulator has shown absolutely no interest in doing so. 

October 4, 2022 6:38 pm  #4

"Sending prices soaring again.."  How much per month did your bill go up RA?  What do you pay per month for your service?  

October 5, 2022 7:18 pm  #5

It's been a while since the price change, but as I recall it was close to about $4-5 a month. That's almost 50-60 bucks extra a year. That's not really the issue. My ISP, Teksavvy, took the CRTC's word for their new policy and immediately reduced prices that same month as a service to their customers. They were very unhappy several months later when they were told the CRTC had suddenly changed its mind. 

It's a terrible way to regulate an industry, because now none of the small guys trust the Commission or know when to take them at their word. Imagine if your boss promised you a raise and then took it away before you really had it with no reason. It's just not the way anyone should operate. 

I know you like to take contrary positions to mine and that's fine. But in this case, what the CRTC did - followed by the somewhat suspicious public celebratory drink between chair Ian Scott and Bell CEO Mirko Bibic - showed a real lack of leadership and proved nothing they say can be trusted. Maybe it's not true, but it sure makes it look to most of us like the fix is in. And the CRTC is not on the consumers' side. 

October 5, 2022 8:28 pm  #6

RadioActive wrote:

It's been a while since the price change, but as I recall it was close to about $4-5 a month. That's almost 50-60 bucks extra a year. That's not really the issue. My ISP, Teksavvy, took the CRTC's word for their new policy and immediately reduced prices that same month as a service to their customers. They were very unhappy several months later when they were told the CRTC had suddenly changed its mind. 

It's a terrible way to regulate an industry, because now none of the small guys trust the Commission or know when to take them at their word. Imagine if your boss promised you a raise and then took it away before you really had it with no reason. It's just not the way anyone should operate. 

I know you like to take contrary positions to mine and that's fine. But in this case, what the CRTC did - followed by the somewhat suspicious public celebratory drink between chair Ian Scott and Bell CEO Mirko Bibic - showed a real lack of leadership and proved nothing they say can be trusted. Maybe it's not true, but it sure makes it look to most of us like the fix is in. And the CRTC is not on the consumers' side. 

I hear you loud and clear.  However I am sure you are already paying considerably less than what it would be with similar service with Bell or Rogers.  You never ever lower your rates until everything is signed sealed and approved.

Just because the commission says this is what they are looking at or thinking doesn't mean it will happen. If the independents immediately lowered rates based on something verbal is a big mistake and premature.   Bell and Rogers own the equipment and technology and have paid the freight, and deserved the right to respond to the CRTC.  Remember it was the commission that forced Bell and the rest to share their technology with the independents in the first place. 

They made the case to the CRTC that costs were higher than expected and they in turn expect the independents to pay more to use their system.  The big conglomerates carry a big stick and employ thousands and invest billions.  So the CRTC had to let them make their case, and they did.  Is that fair?  Maybe or maybe not, but unfortunately for the independents this is the situation that they are in. 

I know many are not thrilled that Quebecor may be entering into the fray in the rest of the country, however they could also mix things up a fair bit.  In Quebec apparently they undercut both Rogers and Bell and they have stated that they intend to do the same in the rest of the country. And they have the money to do it. Not sure that some Canadians will be interested in using a company owned by a sometime separatist.  However monsieur Paladeau seems to have rediscovered his federalists roots again. Wonder why??   Rest assured however Bell  Rogers and Telus won't let them make many inroads without a big fight and some lower package rates.   

October 5, 2022 8:43 pm  #7

I can't quite recall whether the CRTC has actually announced the policy or said they were planning to announce it. It's a subtle thing, but yes, perhaps some of the indies should have waited to be sure. Still, when a government agency says with certainty that this is their plan, they should be required to stick by it. 

And we all know that, while the feds can't technically tell the Commission what to do, they urged them to make consumer friendliness part of their M.O. Sad to see that was ignored, too. 

I will wait to see what Quebecor does. But another huge telco-type company in the market doesn't exactly inspire confidence. Still, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt before they inevitably wind up keeping things pretty much the same. 

October 5, 2022 8:52 pm  #8

Speaking of the less than redoubtable Ian Scott:

CRTC Chair’s Email Spoofed, Asks Employees to Buy iTunes Cards

And later, in keeping with Mr. Scott's previous actions, the scammer later told the victims after they'd made their purchases, that he didn't want them to buy gift cards after all...