sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 27, 2022 11:24 am  #1

CTV employees come forward about toxic work environment

https://www.canadaland.com/bell-media-employees-lets-talk-about-ctvs-toxic-abusive-workplace/

this story isn't going away, although it remains to be seen if it will improve things for current Bell Media employees

fall is traditionally the time for corporate performance reviews which then determine the size of the yearly bonuses, will the big wigs attempt to smooth things over with money and switch to a savvy PR firm to rebrand and repair Bell Media's bruised reputation

September 27, 2022 12:30 pm  #2

Re: CTV employees come forward about toxic work environment

I've said for years that Bell's 'Let's Talk' mental illness campaign was deliberately picked by some deranged exec cause he or she knew it would make a great cover for how Bell tortures its employees and customers like cats play with dead mice...

September 27, 2022 12:36 pm  #3

Ive learned that companies who preach anything to do with "mental health" are the ones who condone it.  

September 27, 2022 12:44 pm  #4

It's sad CTV and Bell Media don't care about the workplace or it's employees.

September 27, 2022 12:55 pm  #5

I've said it before and I'll say it again - Bell does NOT give a rat's arse about mental health. Period. And the accounts in this Canadaland story are proof.

However, CTV/Bell are far from being the only toxic work environment in broadcasting/media - it happens at other major companies like Corus, and even "mom and pop" outfits like those in, say, Belleville or Barrie. Early in my career, I was, on multiple occasions, on the receiving end of numerous completely unwarranted/uncalled-for F-bombs, screaming fits and other bullying tactics by more than one program director, one of whom is still in the same job 20+ years later, despite bullying most staff below him, including reducing several employees to tears. Management at one of the companies really didn't care if my co-workers and I were being bullied, and resorted to gaslighting regarding the situations.

Going back to CTV for a moment, a close friend of mine, who was a technician at a Baton-owned station in the '90s and is now retired and is a great storyteller when it comes to his decades in broadcasting, described how explosive some Baton brass were, including Doug Bassett himself. My friend's station was about to go live with a new news set early in the BBS era, and not only was Bassett overseeing the construction of the new set, he was freaking out over some minute details on the set, such as where electrical and comms outlets were positioned. I guess my buddy was trying to reason with the non-tech-savvy Bassett, but he just kept yelling, cursing etc., right up until the set's 12 noon debut.

Although I miss my broadcasting years, I don't miss the toxicity of some higher-ups, and I'm hoping more victims of bullying in any workplace, not just radio/TV, will come forward and have solid proof of what happened to them on the job.

September 27, 2022 3:58 pm  #6

I recall once while on air at a small town station in a Maritime province, a guy who thought he had some kind of superiority over me  due to length of service came bursting into the studio during a record playing and began berating me over some stupid thing I can't even remember now, the song ended , I hit the mic, he stopped in mid sentence,  did my on air bit, the second I turned the mic off he swung at me, I ducked and  left hooked him so good he fell backwards into the cart rack and knocked it over. He mumbled an apology  as he replaced the carts in their slots. I never had an issue with him again after that. He is dead now likely as he was a good 20 years older than me. 

Last edited by mic'em (September 27, 2022 3:59 pm)