sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 22, 2022 11:34 am  #1

The Buffalo Radio Station You've Never Heard Of

Its call letters were WRUB-FM, and I'm not entirely sure if it was ever actually on the public airwaves. The only thing certain is that it's not around anymore. 

WRUB-FM was a campus station at the University of Buffalo that was shut down for financial reasons three years ago. 

Now a dedicated sophomore is trying to find a way to bring it back, despite the fact it seems she's fighting a losing battle. "Coming to a school like Buffalo and seeing how big it is, then realizing there’s no station… it’s like, what are you doing?” 

It is unusual for a university the size of Buffalo to not have a specific student-run radio station. WBNY does exist, but that's out of Buffalo State College, which is not the same school as U.B. 

I have no idea if those behind this campaign will ever succeed in getting radio back, but I can say one of my very first radio experiences was at a Toronto campus station. It was a great place to be, and allowed me to experiment with various styles, music, make mistakes without too many consequences (or listeners in those days!) and learn more about production. It was an invaluable time and I can see why the kids there are unhappy not to have that kind of outlet. 

Students and alumni fight to bring radio broadcasting back to UB

September 22, 2022 1:00 pm  #2

Re: The Buffalo Radio Station You've Never Heard Of

WRUB-FM.    Radio for massage parlors

September 22, 2022 5:06 pm  #3

Re: The Buffalo Radio Station You've Never Heard Of

University of Buffalo at one time owned WBFO 88.7. The radio station was sold for financial reasons a few years ago to the Western New York Public Broadcasting Association which also owns WNED-FM and WNED-TV. I have visited the station when it was at UB.