sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum


You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 20, 2022 1:06 pm  #1


CFXJ Tech Change CRTC Apps

Part 18384827 Canada Inc.

Add/amend transmitters

Toronto (Ontario)

CFXJ-FM;

2022-0687-0

Open application for applicant contact information.20 September 202220 October 2022
 
   Part 18384827 Canada Inc.

Addition of a rebroadcasting transmitter in Mississauga, Ontario

Toronto (Ontario)

CFXJ-FM;

2022-0704-2

Open application for applicant contact information.20 September 202220 October 2022
 
  

 

September 21, 2022 12:27 pm  #2


Re: CFXJ Tech Change CRTC Apps

I'm hoping campus community stations such as the one I program at (CFMU 93.3 FM) (and additionally, CFRU FM) are not harmed by the Mississauga rebroadcast.

From what I understand, maxcasting also allows the broadcast undertaking to advertise differently from each secondary transmitter. (Not information Stringray has included in their technical submission)(hopefully the CRTC will address this in review)

 

September 21, 2022 1:12 pm  #3


Re: CFXJ Tech Change CRTC Apps

DOPEfm wrote:

I'm hoping campus community stations such as the one I program at (CFMU 93.3 FM) (and additionally, CFRU FM) are not harmed by the Mississauga rebroadcast.

From what I understand, maxcasting also allows the broadcast undertaking to advertise differently from each secondary transmitter. (Not information Stringray has included in their technical submission)(hopefully the CRTC will address this in review)

I think the CRTC will view this as a "REPEATER" vs some special license. I doubt you will see them approving running the extra transmitters with unique programming audio in anyway.   They can technically perhaps, but from the application, they are running them as just filling in holes in their already approved coverage area.   As for you seeing interference on 93.3 FM in Guelph from the Mississauga transmitter, it's doubtful.   The transmitter they are putting in is very week and very directional.   These types of repeaters, are to fill in approved coverage areas on the same channel and are not to extend coverage outside of that.  Based on the maps, I would say 93.3 has nothing to worry about. 

Last edited by radiokid (September 21, 2022 1:14 pm)

 

September 21, 2022 1:18 pm  #4


Re: CFXJ Tech Change CRTC Apps

Yeah, the separate commercials things is neat, but likely not worth the complication - and I'd agree I don't think the CRTC would love it. Stingray will keep this to simple coverage fill-in in order to get approved.


 
 

September 21, 2022 1:46 pm  #5


Re: CFXJ Tech Change CRTC Apps

I have heard CFMU in my car in west Oakville but it was a weak but listenable signal by DX standards, I have never heard the station in east Oakville [QEW/403]

 

September 21, 2022 2:03 pm  #6


Re: CFXJ Tech Change CRTC Apps

mace wrote:

I have heard CFMU in my car in west Oakville but it was a weak but listenable signal by DX standards, I have never heard the station in east Oakville [QEW/403]

Luckily CFMU is vertically polarized FM signal, and transmitter set on Hamilton mountain near the escarpment edge with a power of 166W.

The lake is also helpful. Once I listened to CFMU on Toronto island (like MACE, reasonable by DX standards)

 

September 21, 2022 2:11 pm  #7


Re: CFXJ Tech Change CRTC Apps

CRTC will need to address this issue, and make a condition of approval that rebroadcast only contain originating programming, no seperation (even by commercials)

I wouldn't be surprised if the market players comment on this in submissions to the commission (seeing as the initial submission doesn't touch the subject, yet a prevailing feature of Maxcasting...) Left unchecked, it can hurt other broadcasters ad sales by localized encroachment.

I'm interested in hearing more from other board members on this issue as this is new technology and should be discussed.

RadioAaron wrote:

Yeah, the separate commercials things is neat, but likely not worth the complication - and I'd agree I don't think the CRTC would love it. Stingray will keep this to simple coverage fill-in in order to get approved.

Last edited by DOPEfm (September 21, 2022 2:12 pm)

 

September 21, 2022 2:14 pm  #8


Re: CFXJ Tech Change CRTC Apps

DOPEfm wrote:

mace wrote:

I have heard CFMU in my car in west Oakville but it was a weak but listenable signal by DX standards, I have never heard the station in east Oakville [QEW/403]

Luckily CFMU is vertically polarized FM signal, and transmitter set on Hamilton mountain near the escarpment edge with a power of 166W.

The lake is also helpful. Once I listened to CFMU on Toronto island (like MACE, reasonable by DX standards)

When did they get an increase to 166 watts? They were 50 watts for years. When I lived in west Oakville, I had access to an outdoor Wineguard antenna. If I received anything "listenable" on 93.3, it was WWSE in Jamestown.

 

September 21, 2022 2:20 pm  #9


Re: CFXJ Tech Change CRTC Apps

If the CRTC does grant the "Maxcasting" request, you have to wonder if others won't follow suit. We certainly know that Evanov has been frothing at the mouth to try and get Pride FM and 103.5 wider signals into the GTA. Perhaps this could be a way for them to accomplish that. 

This is worth keeping a real close eye on because it has implications far beyond CFXJ.

 

September 21, 2022 3:01 pm  #10


Re: CFXJ Tech Change CRTC Apps

mace wrote:

DOPEfm wrote:

mace wrote:

I have heard CFMU in my car in west Oakville but it was a weak but listenable signal by DX standards, I have never heard the station in east Oakville [QEW/403]

Luckily CFMU is vertically polarized FM signal, and transmitter set on Hamilton mountain near the escarpment edge with a power of 166W.

The lake is also helpful. Once I listened to CFMU on Toronto island (like MACE, reasonable by DX standards)

When did they get an increase to 166 watts? They were 50 watts for years. When I lived in west Oakville, I had access to an outdoor Wineguard antenna. If I received anything "listenable" on 93.3, it was WWSE in Jamestown.

I've been with CFMU since 2004, and as far as I can remember in my time with them is they were 166 watts. (I lived in West Toronto [right on the lake] with an outdoor antenna and heard CFMU [with some static, but fair] from my location).

Loved the programing there and started with them shortly after.

Heres the link to FCC data
for CFMU

https://fccdata.org/?facid=&call=CFMU-FM&ccode=2&latd=&lond=&city=&state=&country=US&zip=&party=&party_type=LICEN&fac_type=ALL

for CFXJ

https://fccdata.org/?facid=&call=CFXJ-FM&ccode=2&latd=&lond=&city=&state=&country=US&zip=&party=&party_type=LICEN&fac_type=ALL

for CFRU

https://fccdata.org/?facid=&call=CFRU-FM&ccode=2&latd=&lond=&city=&state=&country=US&zip=&party=&party_type=LICEN&fac_type=ALL

 

September 21, 2022 3:13 pm  #11


Re: CFXJ Tech Change CRTC Apps

RadioActive wrote:

If the CRTC does grant the "Maxcasting" request, you have to wonder if others won't follow suit. We certainly know that Evanov has been frothing at the mouth to try and get Pride FM and 103.5 wider signals into the GTA. Perhaps this could be a way for them to accomplish that. 

This is worth keeping a real close eye on because it has implications far beyond CFXJ.

I'm very sceptical that Maxcasting won't have any effect on degrading adjacent signals. When I read the submission, their analog rebroadcast is 285 watts max ERP with the beam toward the west.

Also in the submission to the CRTC, they claim there could be some interference, especially with older analog car radios. Stingray proposes they replace your radio with a new digital one. (I should buy an 80's or earlier car and take them up on that)

 

September 21, 2022 5:09 pm  #12


Re: CFXJ Tech Change CRTC Apps

DOPEfm wrote:

CRTC will need to address this issue, and make a condition of approval that rebroadcast only contain originating programming, no seperation (even by commercials)

I wouldn't be surprised if the market players comment on this in submissions to the commission (seeing as the initial submission doesn't touch the subject, yet a prevailing feature of Maxcasting...) Left unchecked, it can hurt other broadcasters ad sales by localized encroachment.

Stingray will be happy to comply.

In theory, it could make large market radio affordable again for smaller businesses, but I just don't see any of the big players being structurally able to or finding it financially worthwhile to do. Traffic and creative departments have been cut to the bare minimum as it is.

A spot on a CFXJ 95w repeater in North York would be like $6.


 
 

September 21, 2022 8:29 pm  #13


Re: CFXJ Tech Change CRTC Apps

RadioAaron wrote:

A spot on a CFXJ 95w repeater in North York would be like $6.

I love that response, and you're likely right.