sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 10, 2022 9:46 pm  #1

Every British Radio Station Turns Off Happy Music After Queen's Death

Imagine turning on the radio and hearing nothing but slow ballads and mournful music - on every single station. That's what's happening in England after the death of Queen Elizabeth and it's going to be a long week until the funeral on Sept. 19th, with playlists of all formats being affected. 

"According to Ben Cooper, chief content and music officer at Bauer Media Audio UK, a company that operates dozens of British radio stations, at the time of the queen’s death, blue “obit lights” flashed in radio stations around the country. Long-standing protocols, known as “obit plans,” quickly kicked into gear. There would be no more advertisements. No on-air competitions. Prepared playlists flooded the airwaves.

"As the country was still processing the death, British radio had already turned down the dial on the pep and begun providing listeners with more somber sounds: Coldplay’s “The Scientist,” for example, Simon and Garfunkel’s “Bridge Over Troubled Water,” The Cars’ “Drive” and a lot of Adele...

"According to Cooper, stations are expected to start introducing more midtempo music in the coming days but will return to somber tunes for the day of the funeral, Sept. 19. He has encouraged producers and hosts to monitor the emotional pulse of their audiences."

I can't imagine a scenario where that would happen here. Did stations do that after the 911 attacks? 

In Britain, sad music floods the airwaves as radio mourns the queen

September 10, 2022 11:14 pm  #2

Re: Every British Radio Station Turns Off Happy Music After Queen's Death

there's a very fine line between sad and just plain old depressing music, I suppose lots of Sir Elton John, Alan Parsons Project, hmmm.. mid-career Police? The Beatles etc. might do the trick, classic bluesy pop.

Last edited by betaylored (September 10, 2022 11:14 pm)

September 11, 2022 1:27 pm  #3

Re: Every British Radio Station Turns Off Happy Music After Queen's Death

RadioActive wrote:

Did stations do that after the 911 attacks?

American stations certainly did, many even simulcasted their sister news stations for days. Can't recall if any Canadian stations did, but I would think so.