sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 30, 2022 9:23 am  #1

Does Anyone Else Hear That Weird Noise In AM 640's Signal?

I first detected it on the weekend and thought it was just my imagination or maybe my radio. But I've since tried it elsewhere and on other equipment and it's still there. It's a kind of intermittent sound in their signal that I can only describe as a kind of "white noise" in the background. 

It's there through the newscasts, the spots and the programming. And it's especially noticeable when one of their personalities takes a momentary pause and stops talking. 

The question is why is it happening? I can't quite recall hearing it on their signal before and at times, it's very loud and very distracting. Has anyone else noticed this?

August 30, 2022 11:11 am  #2

Re: Does Anyone Else Hear That Weird Noise In AM 640's Signal?

OK, it just got weirder. Now there's a very faint sound of some kind of rock music behind the host - and it's not bumper theme or anything like that. 

August 30, 2022 8:57 pm  #3

Re: Does Anyone Else Hear That Weird Noise In AM 640's Signal?

RA, I noticed it too on the weekend. I thought maybe it was my radio or some type of RF interference coming from one of the other units in the condo. White noise describes it perfectly.

Right now the background is a little hissy. It's like I'm listening to a distant station yet the signal is strong.

Weird for sure. I'm in south Mississauga if that has any effect.

Last edited by alangee (August 30, 2022 9:45 pm)