sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 24, 2022 9:10 pm  #1

Hey Toronto! Alberta Wants You

I have heard these commercials on Toronto radio over the past week, and I don't believe I have ever listened to ads like this before.  The spots are specifically talking to Torontonians about moving to Alberta.  They talk  about lower cost of living, attainable price of housing, beautiful scenery and great job opportunities. The ads are sponsored by the Government of Alberta.

I am embarrassed to say that I have only been there a few times but Alberta is a beautiful province and Calgary was modern, vibrant and a great media town to boot.  I remember the free transportation on one of their main train lines and the city being very clean and with a fairly young population.

Has anyone else heard the ads?  Just heard one on CHUM and I also heard a few on BOOM and maybe KISS this week.  Alberta is booming (mind you so is Ontario) but it will interesting to see if these commercials strike a cord with a  younger demo that is looking to get out of the big smoke and move on  to maybe greener pastures out west.  

August 24, 2022 9:30 pm  #2

Re: Hey Toronto! Alberta Wants You

I've heard them on 1010 as well

August 24, 2022 9:32 pm  #3

The ads are part of a $2.6 million campaign launched by the Alberta government;  to recruit workers from Toronto and Vancouver.

Province launches ‘Alberta is calling’ talent recruitment campaign | Globalnews.ca

August 24, 2022 9:32 pm  #4

While listening to 1010 I heard the one voiced by a young female saying she hated the commute living in Toronto and she's so glad she moved, thing is, if you like music concerts and the hustle and bustle of big city life, Calgary Alberta isn't going to cut it, plus the winter weather is brutal.

I've had family move from Toronto to Alberta and most starting counting the days until they could return to Upper Canada.

They should whip up some spots selling the Calgary Flames. "Imagine being able to actually afford to go to an NHL game and your team playing hockey with real grit."

Last edited by betaylored (August 24, 2022 9:38 pm)

August 24, 2022 9:47 pm  #5

I have heard these ads and in fact, the campaign has been on for more than a week. The idea is to attract younger people with promises of cheaper home affordability, no provincial sales taxes, great scenery and skiing (The Rocky Mountains) and lower gas prices, among other things. 

My brother lives in Calgary and both he and his wife mostly like the place, although they're not fond of any of the respective governments. 

As noted by betaylored, what they don't tell you is that the weather is even worse than Toronto, unless you like a ton of snow and temperatures that can regularly reach -30C or lower, without the wind chill, in the dead of winter.  He tells me almost everyone there has a plug sticking out of their cars - and not because they're electric vehicles. They have to plug them in overnight during the winter to keep the battery warm if they have a hope of starting them in the morning. 

And while Alberta is booming right now thanks to high oil prices, there was a time in the not too distant past when people couldn't find a job because the fossil fuel industry tanked. So I guess a lot depends on what's going on with oil and gas. 

Anyway, to bring this back to radio, apparently you're only hearing the first part of this campaign. A second version will be on stations here across the city in September. 

August 24, 2022 10:16 pm  #6

No provincial sales tax, cheaper rents and home affordability, great scenery and skiing, lower gas prices, lots of job opportunities etc. would be very appealing to younger people.

The weather to me is a moot point.  Alberta also gets chinook winds every winter that melt the snow and gives you a taste of summer like weather for a few days. Two or three chinooks can blow in during the winter months to break up the cold.   Plus young people if they are active don't care as much about the cold weather.  And of course Toronto is a "damp" cold and Alberta is dry.  

Both Edmonton and Calgary are big towns of over one million so they get lots of concerts and have  adequate hustle and bustle but not the headache of never ending gridlock.  And as I mentioned Calgary and also Edmonton are great radio and media towns.  We have all known people over the years that have moved to Alberta or BC and would never move back east.  And others as betaylored mentioned that wanted to come back to Ontario. 

This is a little different advertising campaign, and it will be interesting to see how successful it is and what the second part entails.  Nice to see that they are making radio a big part of the campaign. 

August 25, 2022 12:10 am  #7

paterson1 wrote:

No provincial sales tax, cheaper rents and home affordability, great scenery and skiing, lower gas prices, lots of job opportunities etc. would be very appealing to younger people.

The weather to me is a moot point.  Alberta also gets chinook winds every winter that melt the snow and gives you a taste of summer like weather for a few days. Two or three chinooks can blow in during the winter months to break up the cold.   Plus young people if they are active don't care as much about the cold weather.  And of course Toronto is a "damp" cold and Alberta is dry.  

Both Edmonton and Calgary are big towns of over one million so they get lots of concerts and have  adequate hustle and bustle but not the headache of never ending gridlock.  And as I mentioned Calgary and also Edmonton are great radio and media towns.  We have all known people over the years that have moved to Alberta or BC and would never move back east.  And others as betaylored mentioned that wanted to come back to Ontario. 

This is a little different advertising campaign, and it will be interesting to see how successful it is and what the second part entails.  Nice to see that they are making radio a big part of the campaign. 

https://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/rocking-out-3-5-large-acts-a-year-skip-calgary-due-to-saddledomes-drawbacks

quite the list of major acts that skip Calgary, now this is not a recent article and things may have completely changed, my point was it's best to know beforehand it's an entirely different cultural experience

and I agree with you paterson1, it's fantastic they're making radio a big part of the campaign, their timing is smart too, going into fall, fresh starts etc.

Last edited by betaylored (August 25, 2022 12:27 am)

August 25, 2022 1:06 am  #8

The only Toronto station I ever listen to here is 680 News. And I haven't heard it there.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.