sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 15, 2022 1:37 pm  #1

An Audio Tribute To Channel 47's Much Missed "All Night Show"

I discovered this news feature from CFTR that aired on August 8th, 1981. It lamented the end of the much loved "All Night Show" with Chuck The Security Guard on Channel 47 - ironically, now owned by Rogers. It was 41 years ago this month that the cult classic left the air for good. 

The "Monitor 680" piece features one of the producers behind the pioneering programming, who laments the one thing that never got to air, reflects on how they planned to end it on August 30th, and why he was sure it would turn up somewhere else. 

Spoiler alert: it never did. In case you didn't get to see this overnight oeuvre, it starred Charles Lowther as Chuck, a security guard at the station who supposedly decided to keep the transmitter on and do an all night program with his never-seen cameraman Ryerson (aka the late Errol Bruce.) They showed old reruns like the Twilight Zone and Outer Limits, which hadn't been seen in years, and also added long unseen cartoons and film shorts, along with weird on-air interviews and commentary. 

There never was and has never been anything quite like it on Toronto TV since. 

Alas, the plans to resurrect this creature of the night never went anywhere (although I think everyone honestly believed City TV would pick it up) and it remains a great memory for those night owls (or VCR owners) who got to see it.

The "Goodbye All Night Show" feature is voiced by the great John Wilson, who now lives and works in London, Ontario. 

You can hear it here. 

August 15, 2022 1:58 pm  #2

Re: An Audio Tribute To Channel 47's Much Missed "All Night Show"

Thanks to Retrontario, one if the great subsites on YouTube for those who live in these parts.

August 15, 2022 6:00 pm  #3

I can't seem to get the audio link for the interview to play...
Other than that, thanks RA...

The All Night Show was truly a one of a kind...   and tried to watch it whenever I could...  (grade 13 and an 8:45 am class seemed to get in the way most times!)  but Friday and Saturday evenings were "must see TV"

Michael Lennick was one of the producers of All Night, and he ended up being the fill in cameraman when "Ryerson" was not available. Errol Bruce ended up leaving the show later in the spring of '81 (???)  and Michael Lennick became Chuck's regular side kick and cameraman.

(Michael's older brother David Lennick used to be a regular contributor to the SOWNY forum).

I was lucky enough to meet and work with a number of the production and technical crew later on... They all had such great stories to tell about that year of All Nights....

August 15, 2022 6:52 pm  #4

Glen Warren wrote:

I can't seem to get the audio link for the interview to play... 

Not sure why, but try this alternate link. 

CFTR All Night Show Finale Monitor 680

August 15, 2022 7:08 pm  #5

That link worked.  Thanks RA.

August 18, 2022 10:07 am  #6

Not going to make a habit of this, but this thread started out with a piece lamenting the end of the All Night Show on MTV in 1981. It turns out, I also found a Monitor series about the show just after it first started, that features "Chuck the Security Guard" himself, Chas Lawther.

He plays both the character and himself in the piece, recounting not only the fictional story of how the show came about, but talking about his own origins back in his native England. 

It's voiced by former CFTR newsperson Tricia Wood and it's online here.

August 18, 2022 11:00 am  #7

Great stuff! Never knew this existed. Can't wait to watch it! Thanks for posting. 

August 18, 2022 11:27 am  #8

Years ago, back when Michael Lennick's brother, David, hung out on the board, he had mentioned that Michael (who was involved in the show) was working on a documentary about the all night show.  Then David left the board and Michael passed away in 2014. 

I had no idea that this doc was actually produced in 2007.

Thanks, rje1, for posting this.