sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 25, 2016 7:35 pm  #1

92.5 is in HD

Rogers has addrd HD to CKIS 92.5

CFTR is on HD2
CJCL is on HD3

Looking forward to baseball play by play at skydome where am reception has been very poor at "roof closed" games and vanishes in the corridors

June 26, 2016 12:24 am  #2

Re: 92.5 is in HD

tvguy wrote:

Looking forward to baseball play by play at skydome

Where?
April first came and went!     

"UPDATE: We share the sentiments of many who shared this post on Twitter and Facebook. Sadly, April Fools. Oh, and we're still waiting for that baby food bar for adults to open."

It's Rogers Centre: http://www.blogto.com/sports_play/2016/04/rogers_centre_to_be_renamed_skydome/

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

June 26, 2016 11:25 am  #3

Interesting that they picked 92.5 rather than the stronger 98.1. Assuming capacity issues at the CN Tower?

June 26, 2016 5:42 pm  #4

Same reason 640 is on 95.3 rather than 102.1 or 107.1, I guess. So that leaves Bell out of luck and Newcap with no AM in need of simulcast. Though maybe the new Bell/Newcap sales agreement can take care of that

June 27, 2016 9:49 am  #5

CHFI is on the CN tower which requires a bit of coordination with everyone on that shared mass, but on 1st Canadian Place where Kiss is, most have their own antennas, so they can do what they need to.

I think we will see the CN tower stations do the upgrade but it will require cooperation to get it done... 

As well, I also feel until the unique content is offered, HD will never catch on in Canada.   I only know of some multicultural stations in Toronto, and KX947 Hamilton offering anything different that someone may care enough to move to an HD signal.

The US has done this and has had some decent acceptance by listeners with some getting really good ratings in some urban centres.   Without unique content, you will never get the listeners to care.

Last edited by radiokid (June 27, 2016 9:50 am)

June 27, 2016 10:17 am  #6

I'd bet the next 'HD' (A laughable marketing term) Fm station to go will be Moses'.    I'd bet getting 740 on there would be a goal since CFMX(Y/Z) has a far better signal than 96.7.   The problem is Classical needs more than 96k to sound reasonable, so it (should) get a bears share of the bandwidth,  

But now the 'something for nothing' argument will kick in, for all the broadcasters, with sales eventually wanting to offer up data as well as the multiple audio streams.  It's all got to come from somewhere.

Suddenly the 'hd' talk station is at 48 or 56k and you're lucky if the music ones hit 96k.  But, we'll see what happens.

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

June 27, 2016 1:03 pm  #7

radiokid wrote:

As well, I also feel until the unique content is offered, HD will never catch on in Canada.

Couldn't agree more. Sound quality is a non-starter for motivation, and while getting the AMs up there in the bigger cities where downtown reception is problematic is nice, it's not enough on its own.

June 27, 2016 3:29 pm  #8

That's a great question.  Are they unregulated?  

They're data streams..  so...   but they're also broadcast terrestrially, and even the SCMO/SCA stuff had to be licensed and I don't see this being much different.

I'd guess if they are unregulated, they won't be for long

ig.

Tim Brown 2016 wrote:

radiokid wrote:

Without unique content, you will never get the listeners to care.

Just thinking... If those secondary services are completely free of CRTC regulations we could hear some interesting programming. 102.5 HD2 was all-blues at one time. Not sure if it still is.

June 27, 2016 3:56 pm  #9

Not sure if it changed, but I seem to remember the CRTC saying they are willing to allow stations to experiment with the HD subchannels in regards to programming, so unless that's changed, I can't see why they couldn't.   I doubt KX asked to put WAVE back on the radio at 94-7 HD2.

June 27, 2016 4:04 pm  #10

Rogers has updated their Toronto and Vancouver websites and issued press releases, twitters, etc today. "how to" tune HD instructions are also on the websites:

BTW it will always be "skydome".  I despise all of these so-called "naming rights"   - how many times per broadcast are we subjected to the "Samsung Broadcast Booth - at Rogers Centre".   It isn't even a booth.  It seems to be a tent erected above the space over 3rd base & outfield".   Radio stations 680 NEWS, KiSS 92.5, and Sportsnet 590 The FAN in Toronto, as well as 96.9 JACK fm and NEWS 1130 in Vancouver are now broadcasting in HD.The HD broadcasts can be accessed on any portable or in-dash HD-enabled device, with no internet connection or monthly fee required. Click here to find out how it works.“We are constantly looking at ways to enhance the listener experience and are thrilled to be providing our listeners in the Toronto and Vancouver regions with HD quality content from their favourite stations,” said Julie Adam, Senior Vice President, Rogers Radio. “Delivering today’s top hit music, news and sports coverage in HD creates a fully immersive experience that we know our listeners will appreciate.”In addition to the enhanced audio, listeners will also get digital content on their HD radio devices, featuring song titles, album art, and artist information."

June 27, 2016 6:01 pm  #11

I'm also really interested in the CRTC's current stance on the sub-channels. The last I can find online, they were still questioning whether broadcasters even 'owned' their own sub-channels and whether they should be opened up to other broadcasters. So I'm curious mostly as to the situations with Heart FM and KX.

June 28, 2016 2:32 am  #12

tvguy wrote:

BTW it will always be "skydome"

It's the Rogers centre. Like it or not that is what it is. That is what it is called. 
There is no skydome.
Sky what? Nope it's the Rogers centre...call it what it is please, unless you have the money to change the name back.

(or feel free to annoy others who think like you...with the right amount of money, I suppose you can change the name to anything you want...in fair reason, ofcourse.)

Last edited by Radiowiz (June 28, 2016 2:37 am)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

June 29, 2016 11:05 am  #13

I have always referred to it as "The Beer Cooler"

I am Here, just not all there.

July 21, 2016 9:47 am  #14

Driving my wife's car with equipped HD radio, I started listening to 680 on AM, then quickly realized I could tune in to 92.5. When I did, it just so happened  it was at the top of the hour. I learned something right away.

Don't set your clocks/watches by the time tones at the hour, and half hour, marks when listening to the 680-HD2 channel. When I switched over to the HD feed I re-heard the time tone again,a good (read - bad) 30 second delayafter hearing it on the AM.

Last edited by DeepTracks (July 21, 2016 9:54 am)

July 21, 2016 10:08 am  #15

That's why ball games in Skydome on HD won't be happening any time soon.

DeepTracks wrote:

Driving my wife's car with equipped HD radio, I started listening to 680 on AM, then quickly realized I could tune in to 92.5. When I did, it just so happened  it was at the top of the hour. I learned something right away.

Don't set your clocks/watches by the time tones at the hour, and half hour, marks when listening to the 680-HD2 channel. When I switched over to the HD feed I re-heard the time tone again,a good (read - bad) 30 second delayafter hearing it on the AM.

July 21, 2016 12:34 pm  #16

It depends how Rogers is getting 680 to the Transmitter... They may simply be using a internet stream at the 92.5 transmitter site  and broadcasting it on the HD side.  Normal HD delay is milliseconds not 30 seconds.   They are clearly adding delay somewhere.    I'm sure if you flipped between 92.5 analog and 92.5 HD1 there would be next to no delay at all as it would/should be the same audio souce..

Last edited by radiokid (July 21, 2016 12:37 pm)

July 21, 2016 2:54 pm  #17

It's not HD, but there's also a slight delay between AM740's signal and its downtown FM simulcaster on 96.7. It's not huge, but it's there. 

July 22, 2016 8:08 am  #18

Contacted a couple of people at Rogers about the delay.  No one is able to explain the 34 second delay.   The internet delay for CJCL 590 is less than 1 second based on a monitor on Thursday.  So we can't blame the Internet for the additional 33-1/2 second delay.  This also makes no sense because there is no delay between the main channel KISS FM and their HD-1 signal.  Nor is there a delay between Durham Radio's KX96 analogue and HD signals.  The IBOC system --- if properly set up - does not have an inherent delay of any significant length.  Some radios introduce a slight delay as they "process" the digital signal...but it's never significant...My guess is that someone in Rogers' engineering department has made a major blunder in the set-up of their HD2 and HD3 signals..and everyone we've contacted at Rogers on the programming side are being fed BS....any P. Engs out there who might have more insight?

July 22, 2016 9:11 am  #19

Thanks "Contributor". Your pinning the delay time to be 34 seconds backs me up in my claim.

I was starting to wonder if I was all right in the head.

July 22, 2016 9:44 am  #20

tvguy wrote:

This also makes no sense because there is no delay between the main channel KISS FM and their HD-1 signal.

The difference here is that KISS already has an audio link to the transmitter location; it's just being spliced into two transmitters. They would have needed to establish a new link for 680 and 590.

tvguy wrote:

The internet delay for CJCL 590 is less than 1 second based on a monitor on Thursday

Did you check 680, which is where the original poster noticed it? Could be 590 runs a delay on its AM, and not on its stream, thereby coincidentally matching them

July 22, 2016 10:14 am  #21

CFTR's internet feed is 14 seconds "ahead" of the HD2 feed.
CFTR's internet feed is 11 seconds "behind" the AM off air signal.

That means approximately the same "delay" on HD2 - 34/35 seconds.

Still makes no sense that the HD  "delay" is that far behind AM air signal.(35 second) delay is so far behind AM air signal.

Likely the feed to the TX's HD exciter is not via STL or Bell Lines.

July 22, 2016 10:57 am  #22

Delays are just a fact of life in the digital world.

We're Bell Satellite customers.  I've got a receiver in the living room and there's also a receiver in the adjoining office.  Sure enough, there's always a delay between both receivers if they are set to the same channel.  It varies depending on the whim of the receiver's processing at that moment.

As for time, I can remember as a ;youngster tuning into WWV or CHU to set my watch.  These days, my main computer hit an NTP server every 13 minutes so I just go by that.  

Then again, as I get older, "close enough" has become acceptable.

July 22, 2016 12:42 pm  #23

The thing is, the delays and lags were there before in the old days.  It's only in very recent years that Joe Public has been able to notice it easily.

Now, I actually have Bell Fibe at home. Can anyone tell me why on so many channels the audio is so often out of sync with the video?

Finally, to troll someone here:

I remember my last concert I attended at the O'Keefe Centre. It was wonderful. We went there after shopping at Simpson's on Queen.

July 22, 2016 10:49 pm  #24

tvguy wrote:

CFTR's internet feed is 14 seconds "ahead" of the HD2 feed.
CFTR's internet feed is 11 seconds "behind" the AM off air signal.

That means approximately the same "delay" on HD2 - 34/35 seconds.

Still makes no sense that the HD  "delay" is that far behind AM air signal.(35 second) delay is so far behind AM air signal.

Likely the feed to the TX's HD exciter is not via STL or Bell Lines.

Right. Clearly not STL or Bell. And you've made a good case against streaming. Maybe a Rogers cable box?