sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 26, 2022 12:01 pm  #1

640's Kelly Cutara Has COVID, Stays On Air Doing Her Show From Home

AM 640 mid-morning host is a real trooper, staying on air doing her show from home despite having COVID. It's not clear how long she's had it or how bad it is, but she doesn't sound bad and somehow managed to put on a show from her home studio. 

Unfortunately, something extremely weird happened in the last 10 minutes. Perhaps it was a lost connection. When the program came back around 11:48 AM, there was no Kelly, just a podcast of the "Parenting Show," which also airs on the weekend on 640. 

It started with a guest intro, let the guest talk for about a minute, then paused, and began again from the very beginning, with the same guest being reintroduced. It then went off again and started from the beginning for a third time! That was followed by at least three or four minutes of dead air, and then Cutrara's show resumed long enough for her to say goodbye and sign off with no explanation. 

A spot began airing, then was cut off, followed by another spot. Probably just as well that the show was over!

I certainly hope she's feeling better, but she's quite a team player to keep going, especially considering it's vacation time in the biz and there's often a shortage of on air people to step in and take her place.  

July 26, 2022 12:40 pm  #2

Re: 640's Kelly Cutara Has COVID, Stays On Air Doing Her Show From Home

I was confused for a while there as well.  I usually listen on 95.3 HD2 and I thought it was a reception problem and the radio switched back to plain old stereo.  I then switched to AM with all the interference and the same parenting show was on.

The goodbye was also strange, as if it was time-delayed because it restarted after airing the first few seconds.  There was also a problem from her home studio earlier this morning that went to commercial.  I guess it happens no matter how reliable the Internet provider claims to be... Although she has mentioned before that she is not a Rogers customer.

July 26, 2022 12:44 pm  #3

Re: 640's Kelly Cutara Has COVID, Stays On Air Doing Her Show From Home

John Oakley has had frequent problems with his home connection as well, forcing them to go to an alternate interview, an unscheduled series of spots, or music, while they get the hook-up back up. Not sure who his provider is, but it doesn't seem to happen as much on the Bell stations.

But almost every radio station doing these COVID remotes has been plagued by lost connections at one time or another.