sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 17, 2022 3:43 pm  #1

Sloppy Work After Jays Talk On The Fan590

I get that the Fan590's Jays' Talk goes across the country and has to end at a standard network out time, but every time they sign off, they then go to CBS Sports talk - inevitably right in the middle of a word. There is no effort to try to rejoin that American broadcast at a more suitable point and you often have no idea who you're listening to, what they're talking about and who the guest might be.

It happens every single time I've listened and I have to believe it's been happening all season long. There simply has to be a better way to rejoin a broadcast or at least make an announcement that it's already in progress, instead of having the theme end and hearing someone say something like "maybe, but you can't always do it" and having no idea what's going on.  

It's sloppy, it's lazy and I would expect better in Canada's #1 market. But clearly they don't care how amateurish it sounds. 

July 17, 2022 5:37 pm  #2

Re: Sloppy Work After Jays Talk On The Fan590

The Jays game was on early today to accommodate Peacock Premium.  They had exclusive rights to the game.  Peacock signed a deal for some exclusive Sunday MLB games and had requested that they start at noon.  Guess the exclusive deal didn't include Canada since the game was on Sportsnet. 

Same with the Honda Toronto Indy, Peacock had the rights today, but locally on Sportsnet 360.

July 17, 2022 5:43 pm  #3

Since Peacock is one of the U.S. streamers that does not sell to Canada (Hulu is the other big one,) it makes sense Sportsnet would retain the ability to broadcast that game here. It would not impact the American feed in any way.

Although I'm honestly not sure how much of the U.S. was interested in watching a Canadian team play what wound up being a minor league version of the Royals.  

July 17, 2022 6:09 pm  #4

RadioActive wrote:

Since Peacock is one of the U.S. streamers that does not sell to Canada (Hulu is the other big one,) it makes sense Sportsnet would retain the ability to broadcast that game here. It would not impact the American feed in any way.

Although I'm honestly not sure how much of the U.S. was interested in watching a Canadian team play what wound up being a minor league version of the Royals.  

Odd then why the premium service of Peacock, which is more money, would decide to run this game if interest was low.  The games were entertaining and KC fans were able to see some new talent from the farm teams.

Too bad that the Honda Indy was only available on Peacock in the US.  Shades of the future for TV sports.  About 14% of US households regularly subscribe to this service or about 17 million homes. 

July 17, 2022 9:16 pm  #5

You haven't heard sloppy until you hear a Jays game on CityNews Ottawa. I've tried to listen to games where they run five minutes of spots between innings, missing at bats.
And them during the game switching to the internet feed, which is different.
I cannot understand how a major market station cannot get through a major league baseball without screw ups.

July 17, 2022 11:31 pm  #6

paterson1 wrote:

The Jays game was on early today to accommodate Peacock Premium.  They had exclusive rights to the game.  Peacock signed a deal for some exclusive Sunday MLB games and had requested that they start at noon.  Guess the exclusive deal didn't include Canada since the game was on Sportsnet. 

Same with the Honda Toronto Indy, Peacock had the rights today, but locally on Sportsnet 360.

I believe that the Eastern MLB teams were given earlier start times in the schedule,  to accommodate the travel arrangements of their players and team executives in order to attend the many All-Star events/meetings which start the next day in Los Angeles.  This was referred to a few times by the SN on air crew earlier this week.

Last edited by Media Observer (July 17, 2022 11:35 pm)

July 18, 2022 9:56 am  #7

Media Observer wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

I believe that the Eastern MLB teams were given earlier start times in the schedule,  to accommodate the travel arrangements of their players and team executives in order to attend the many All-Star events/meetings which start the next day in Los Angeles.  This was referred to a few times by the SN on air crew earlier this week.

That's what I thought too, however yesterday Dan Shulman went into a fair bit of detail about The Jays accommodating NBC Peacock yesterday so they could have an earlier start.  SN also showed the Peacock on air crew a few times yesterday when they were talking about the early game.  Also mentioned that yesterday's game was only on the streaming service in the US.  NBC Peacock calls their major league ball games MLB Leadoff indicating the first game of the day, at 12noon.   

July 18, 2022 12:13 pm  #8

Appreciate the update.  I knew that Peacock was covering the game,  but didn't know about their scheduling needs.

July 18, 2022 12:31 pm  #9

The agreement between MLB and Peacock stipulates that Peacock has exclusive rights to that Sunday's game and that no other MLB game can start before 1:30 p.m. I believe this is the reason that Sunday Jays home games, the ones not on Peacock, have been moved from 1:07 p.m. to 1:37 p.m.

I guess Peacock thinks that the Jays are interesting for fans to watch, since they selected three Jays games to air on Peacock this season and no other team has more than two. In addition to yesterday's game against the Royals, the Sunday game against the Tigers on the next home stand will also be on Peacock, as will a Sunday afternoon game in Pittsburgh against the Pirates in September.