sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 14, 2022 10:10 am  #1

Could This Lawsuit Affect The Future Of Funny 820?

I know this is a U.S. based issue, but if it applies there it could come home to roost here. Comedian Lewis Black, whose comedy bits are featured frequently on stations like Funny 820, has sued Pandora in the U.S. for using his material without adequate payment. 

The article notes if successful, it could have an effect on all radio airplay, beyond subscription services. 

"While the case would have a direct impact on other streaming services such as Spotify and iHeartRadio, attorney David Oxenford thinks it could also impact radio stations. That is because radio’s licensing agreements with the performance rights organizations like ASCAP, BMI, Global Music Rights, and SESAC are limited to the composers of “musical works.” Oxenford says the rights deals say nothing about spoken word recordings."

I'm unsure if any decision in the U.S. would also be applied to Canada and its few all-comedy stations. But it would not surprise me if similar action would happen here, potentially putting the format in jeopardy because Bell might not want to pay out anything for such a lowly rated AM outlet.

If the suit doesn't come out in Black's favour, it will likely give him something new to yell about - which given his usual shtick - could only help his comedy career. 

Lewis Black Has Sued Pandora, But It Is Radio That Could Wind Up Paying In The Long Run

July 15, 2022 9:38 am  #2

Re: Could This Lawsuit Affect The Future Of Funny 820?

Well as it stands currently, this would require our Copyright laws to be updated to include this, and typically we have max dollars set for violations vs the US.       Should push come to shove, I expect, Bell will sign these stations off or flip them to CTV NEWS audio before losing money running the comedy format.    Ratings may be low, but from what I've been told, they don't lose money. The bills are paid with very little left over.    

July 15, 2022 12:00 pm  #3

radiokid wrote:

Well as it stands currently, this would require our Copyright laws to be updated to include this, and typically we have max dollars set for violations vs the US.       Should push come to shove, I expect, Bell will sign these stations off or flip them to CTV NEWS audio before losing money running the comedy format.    Ratings may be low, but from what I've been told, they don't lose money. The bills are paid with very little left over.    

That's an idea, but before that, I don't doubt that they'll try running audio of CTV Comedy channel first. 
Anything that cuts out the American expense. lol

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

July 15, 2022 1:34 pm  #4

Radiowiz wrote:

radiokid wrote:

That's an idea, but before that, I don't doubt that they'll try running audio of CTV Comedy channel first. 
Anything that cuts out the American expense. lol

Issues sadly with Comedy Channel is the show rights would cost them extra to run on Radio. (too many American shows)    CTV News would be near zero due to most content being their own. 

BNN as you likely have noticed runs produced shows and a few others from bloomberg.   Then they cover over other shows with replays from their news talk radio stations.    It's cheap... cost effective and costs them near nothing.  The moment they have to pay, they will turn off everything and move on. 

Last edited by radiokid (July 15, 2022 1:40 pm)