sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 11, 2022 1:18 pm  #1

CJCS Call Letters Return

Stratford's Juice FM will now be known as 107.1 CJCS FM.  More from Broadcast Dialogue..https://broadcastdialogue.com/vista-brings-heritage-cjcs-branding-back-to-stratford/

July 11, 2022 4:35 pm  #2

Re: CJCS Call Letters Return

The station has been running image breaks from listeners congratulating them on bringing back the CJCS name. Juice was dropped on July 7th.  CJCS call letters had been used from 1935 until August 3 2017 when CJCS moved to FM and adopted the name Juice FM.  CJCS AM wrapped up broadcasting on November 8, 2017 at 1pm. The station itself will soon be celebrating 95 years of broadcasting in Stratford. 

CJCS has a sister station in Stratford with 107.7 2day FM (CHGK) which has a Hot A/C format. 

July 11, 2022 6:20 pm  #3

CJCS 1240 didn't have much power (I almost said juice LOL). I started on air there in 1968 and it was 500 watts by day and 250 at night... while on the evening shift one night  the chief engineeer came running into the control room to ask why I hadn't called to tell him we were off the air... the answer, because we weren't.  He just couldn't get the station in the middle of town! I believe they eventually went up to 1,000 watts in the 80's and had a much better coverage area. 

After the flip to FM I was driving over that way from Kitchener and decided to hear what it sounded like. At the Perth county sign I dialed up 107.1... it was still Q107 until almost the Stratford city limits. The coverage area was even smaller than the old AM signal. I thought that was rather sad. 

July 16, 2022 11:27 am  #4

In the late 1970's living in London, I quite liked CJCS. For its low power that 1240 AM signal carried surprisingly far during the day. Maybe it had something to do with the ground conductivity at the transmitter antenna. On a 'graveyard' frequency, post-sunset reception was a different matter. It was almost indistinguishable. 

July 16, 2022 3:51 pm  #5

darcyh wrote:

In the late 1970's living in London, I quite liked CJCS. For its low power that 1240 AM signal carried surprisingly far during the day. Maybe it had something to do with the ground conductivity at the transmitter antenna. On a 'graveyard' frequency, post-sunset reception was a different matter. It was almost indistinguishable. 

CJCS 1240 always came in clearly for me in London, even in the southwest during the day.

July 17, 2022 8:41 am  #6

In the summer I signed on the station at 5:55am and put it on the full 500 watts rather than 250 for the first half hour (pattern change was to be at 6:30). I didn't think it would matter much until the station recceived a complaint from a ship on Lake Erie. I couldn't believe it but signed on with 250 watts after that LOL.