sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 4, 2022 4:53 pm  #1

Patrick Watson Has Passed Away

https://twitter.com/cbctom/status/1543972435707428869?t=1EaEiH6_icQe3jyTEfr2Ng&s=19

Sad to learn Patrick Watson has passed away, I clearly remember his distinctive voice, my sincere condolences to his colleagues, friends and family. 🕯️🙏

Last edited by betaylored (July 4, 2022 4:53 pm)

July 5, 2022 8:52 am  #2

Re: Patrick Watson Has Passed Away

July 6, 2022 2:33 pm  #3

Patrick was from the era when the public and politicians watched CBC TV.  I always thought the program title This Hour Has Seven Days was brilliant for a weekly public affairs show.  The fact that it ran Sunday evenings gave the chattering classes in Ottawa and across the country something to talk about on Monday.  Also it was a news pubic affairs show that was regularly produced in front of a studio audience, which was unheard of at the time. 

The Pearson liberal government of the day and CBC brass hated the show.  Even though This Hour Has Seven Days ran only 50 weeks it has been credited with influencing W5, 60 Minutes, The Fifth Estate, and tabloid talk shows which came many years later.  Seven Days itself was originally inspired by the political satire series That Was The Week That Was which aired on BBC and also with a US version on NBC from 1963-65. 

July 6, 2022 11:14 pm  #4

I believe he was also the first host of Venture, CBC’s Sunday night business show.

July 6, 2022 11:55 pm  #5

He was a prolific author and even wrote a book of limericks.

July 7, 2022 12:56 am  #6

betaylored wrote:

He wrote an entire book of limericks he created? Or was it a compilation of existing limericks?

I love limericks.

There once was a woman from the Azores - - - 

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

July 7, 2022 6:05 am  #7

turkeytop wrote:

betaylored wrote:

He wrote an entire book of limericks he created? Or was it a compilation of existing limericks?

I love limericks.

There once was a woman from the Azores - - - 

I checked the Limerick publication blurb and it's typically vague, and weird. It mentions Picasso is featured in the book. Did Picasso write limericks? If he did it was probably during his blue period.