sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 4, 2022 11:36 am  #1

T.O. Radio Vets Remember CHUM, CKFH, Their First Times On Air & More

As so often happens on the Internet, I stumbled across a fairly old site on YouTube while looking for something else. And while it dates back to 2012 and 2013, it's quite a remarkable collection. It features brief clips of well known Toronto radio veterans talking about their experiences and what they remember from early in their careers - as well as what they learned doing radio.

These are pretty well-known names - Dick Smyth, Gord James, Bill Hayes, Don Daynard, Chuck McCoy (who tells a great story about how he got his on-air name, which I've posted below as a sample), Erin Davis and even SOWNY member Doug Thompson. And there's even a few clips with the late, great Fred Latremouille of Vancouver radio fame, who explains in one segment why he never wanted to come and work in Toronto. 

It's under the name "Radio Viz" and perhaps Doug Thompson can explain how this came about. In any event, it's worth scrolling through the videos, most of which are bite-size (or should that be byte size?) brief glimpses into these radio greats backgrounds and careers. None of them are longer than about two minutes in length.  

They've been up there a very long time, but I only discovered them now and talk about finding buried treasure - they're a long-forgotten trove of terrific tales from the vets many of us grew up listening to.

If you're interested, you can find the section here

July 4, 2022 12:14 pm  #2

Re: T.O. Radio Vets Remember CHUM, CKFH, Their First Times On Air & More

IIRC it was Bob Magee and Richard Maxwell who put Radio Viz together. Originally it was a website and then moved to YouTube. Long interviews were broken up into short segments.

July 4, 2022 12:38 pm  #3

Some of these are great, including stories I've never heard before. I'm grateful these have been preserved for posterity.

It's just a good thing that the song Chuck McCoy refers to in his piece was at the top of the charts that day. Otherwise, he might have been Chuck Cowsill!

July 4, 2022 2:04 pm  #4

This was a video project created by Bob Magee and Richard Maxwell (both ex-CHUMers).  Bob did all (or at least most) of the interviews.  Not sure what his ultimate plan was with all of it, but it is out there now.