sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 30, 2022 2:02 pm  #1

Source Claims More Huge Cuts Coming To Rogers Media Soon

I have no way to judge the credibility of sources at yyzsportsmedia.com, but the online Toronto sports site insists there's a massive bloodletting in the works at Rogers Media, now that the Stanley Cup playoffs are over. 

"Further shuttering or format changing of radio stations has been speculated on. Still, no two sources have been able to predict the same thing so I cannot say with any degree of certainty what is likely to happen on that front. No one can agree whether further rights will be invested in or not either. All that sources say is that [Rogers Sports & Media President Colette] Watson is a master cutter and she has never missed a budget challenge via the knife so if she has to cut something she will."

Are Big Cuts In The Works At Rogers? 

June 30, 2022 5:10 pm  #2

Re: Source Claims More Huge Cuts Coming To Rogers Media Soon

Well I heard a year or so ago that Kiss Vancouver was going to flip at some point. Now it has. On the kissradio.ca homepage it give you links for only Edmonton Toronto and ottawa kiss stations. The read between the lines is don’t go to another kiss station not listed and get attatched. It won’t last. Christian Hall was brought in from Harvard where he launched a very successful X92.9 and other stations. He is going to bring changes to many stations I believe. There will be local hires and national shows. 3 were let go in Vancouver but 5 were hired. If they roll sonic to a few more markets we could see some hosts on multiple stations. Which may reduce a few staff. I also can’t imagine sportsnet 650 holding on for much longer in Vancouver if they don’t get the radio rights renewed for the Canucks. As for hockey night they already cancelled hometown hockey. I believe they are looking to shed some Saturday night salary. But I think part of this has to do with the Roger’s/Shaw deal. But also maybe Roger’s and others feel they can program formats cheaper in multiple markets by using hosts in multiple markets. Both middays and evenings on Sonic use hosts from Jack Calgary who worked under Christian before at X92.9. In fact 6 hosts in Sonic have worked at X92.9 at some point in the past. One of those hosts is Carly who worked in Toronto at Edge. And Jay Brody was mornings on the B-team.