sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 29, 2022 4:52 pm  #1

HD Radio Slowly Gains Ground In Canada

It is, at least, according to this Radio World article. The author interviewed reps from several radio companies using HD, including Corus and Evanov. All seem to be happy with the technology, although most admit the ratings aren't always there and won't be until its use becomes more widespread. What they don't say is when - or if - they actually think that will happen. 

Still, it's not stopping Evanov from expanding its use of HD.

“The analog signal for our flagship Z 103.5 station has traditionally suffered from severe multipath interference in the downtown core...HD Radio has made the signal extremely reliable in those places, which is very evident in our ratings. Every book since the launch of HD Radio has shown increases in audience numbers.”

Evanov is one of the few who have tried HD on the AM band right here in the GTA. They promise it won't be the last. 

“Next in line is a 50,000W multicultural AM station in Montreal. The tests on CHLO(AM) proved very successful with the station’s limited power of 1000W day and 250W at night, so we’re very eager to see the coverage in Montreal.”

HD Radio Slowly Gains Ground In Canada

June 29, 2022 5:13 pm  #2

Re: HD Radio Slowly Gains Ground In Canada

The HDRadio.com site referenced in the article indicates CFRB is on HD-2 on its 1010 AM signal. (The listing is at the very bottom of the page.) Is that true? I always thought it was piggybacked onto one of Bell's FM outlets here. Is it also broadcasting its own signal over AM in HD? I don't recall hearing about that in the past. 

HDRadio.com

June 29, 2022 6:22 pm  #3

It's not. That site's not terribly useful

June 29, 2022 8:42 pm  #4

RadioActive wrote:

The HDRadio.com site referenced in the article indicates CFRB is on HD-2 on its 1010 AM signal. (The listing is at the very bottom of the page.) Is that true? I always thought it was piggybacked onto one of Bell's FM outlets here. Is it also broadcasting its own signal over AM in HD? I don't recall hearing about that in the past.

Agreed with RadioAaron. That seems to be an error in the listing of the site (geared towards a general audience).

99.9 FM for HD signals is this way for me on my device:

99.9 HD1 - CKFM-FM (99.9 Virgin Radio HD feed)
99.9 HD2 - Newstalk 1010
99.9 HD3 - TSN 1050 Toronto
99.9 HD4 - Pure Country iHeartRadio

Slightly different from this 2017 press release. But consistent with this listing in the Toronto 99.9 portion of the list.

June 29, 2022 8:43 pm  #5

Why is Evanov's 103.5 not using HD-2 for Proud FM and maybe HD-3 for CHLO or CKDX (88.5)? (CKFM has 4 HD signals...) 
Where did CJKX's (95.9) HD-3 go that used to have CKDO (1580?) 
CIND (88.1)'s HD-3 is gone (North X Northeast) 
Many 2nd/3rd language broadcasts on 88.9 101.3 and 105.9 that add to choices.

Sangean HDR-16 portable radio gives a good rich sound for Ici Musique (90.3), CBC-2  (HD-2 on 99.1) and CFMZ (96.3)

June 29, 2022 8:47 pm  #6

WPE9HAY wrote:

Why is Evanov's 103.5 not using HD-2 for Proud FM and maybe HD-3 for CHLO or CKDX (88.5)? (CKFM has 4 HD signals...) 

Because the only real-world function of HD is to improve signal quality. Any HD additions to103.5 only degrade the sound quality of the main signal. Evanov is one of the only broadcasters doing HD right.

Last edited by RadioAaron (June 29, 2022 9:05 pm)

June 29, 2022 9:03 pm  #7

WPE9HAY wrote:

Where did CJKX's (95.9) HD-3 go that used to have CKDO (1580?) 
CIND (88.1)'s HD-3 is gone (North X Northeast) 
Many 2nd/3rd language broadcasts on 88.9 101.3 and 105.9 that add to choices.

Sangean HDR-16 portable radio gives a good rich sound for Ici Musique (90.3), CBC-2  (HD-2 on 99.1) and CFMZ (96.3)

You are correct about CIND HD 3, Not there anymore but CKDO is there now on 95.9 HD 3,

Agree with RadioAaron about the additional HD stations degrading quality and by HD3 the sound is even worse. Also don't like the fact that HD signals wipe out more distant adjacent stations. 

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/