sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 14, 2016 9:28 pm  #1

Ethnic newscasts coming back to OMNI.. perhaps

Looks like Rogers is dangling a carrot in front of the CRTC in promising to restore ethnic newscasts.. If they get the mandatory carriage.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/rogers-media-seeks-to-revive-omni-newscasts-in-crtc-proposal/article30450213/

Question is should they be trusted? They made a bunch of promises when launching City in Montreal to only have a couple of the shows cancelled already.

Last edited by Here2day (June 14, 2016 9:29 pm)

June 14, 2016 11:03 pm  #2

Re: Ethnic newscasts coming back to OMNI.. perhaps

Here2day wrote:

Rogers....should they be trusted?   

Ha Ha.....you know the answer...

June 15, 2016 3:29 am  #3

Gee...how much would it cost to simply air voice overs of CityNews in various languages? 
Wouldn't that be a lot cheaper than trying to air their own Omni newscasts?

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

June 15, 2016 6:17 am  #4

Radiowiz wrote:

simply air voice overs of CityNews in various languages

​COMING UP NEXT . . . the very latest on Kanye, Kim, Kylie, Khlo & Kourtney in Punjabi, Filipino & Portuguese 

June 15, 2016 1:52 pm  #5

Isn't this just bribery on Rogers' part?

The CRTC shouldn't even give them the time of day and fine them heavily just for suggesting "if we get A, we'll do B". Can't the CRTC just make it a condition of licence?

June 15, 2016 1:56 pm  #6

BoredOp wrote:

Isn't this just bribery on Rogers' part?

The CRTC shouldn't even give them the time of day and fine them heavily just for suggesting "if we get A, we'll do B". Can't the CRTC just make it a condition of licence?

It is a slippery slope, but at the end of the day if the CRTC makes its a condition of licence, you would probably see Rogers dumping the licences as it is clear they have no interest in investing any more money into them. Look at their programming, they have pretty much stripped the English programming and shifted it to the City network. It's even questionable if they want to keep the City network outside of Toronto.

Last edited by Here2day (June 15, 2016 1:57 pm)

June 15, 2016 4:06 pm  #7

Here2day wrote:

It is a slippery slope

​As John Oakley would (and does) say . . .

June 15, 2016 4:57 pm  #8

Of course it's bribery on Rogers' part, and the CRTC are going to fall for it.

I wonder just how many ethnic folks who live here ever rely or relied on broadcast television for a news fix in their mother tongue in the past couple of years?  These days, you can watch a real newscast from afar right on your computer/smartphone/tablet.  You can even read the local newspapers in the language of your choice thanks to google translate.

I think the CRTC will go for it, Rogers will implement it and then dump it shortly thereafter when the newscasts generate no ratings.  The CRTC can't really complain when nobody is watching -- or am I being too logical.

June 15, 2016 11:22 pm  #9

Here2day wrote:

[
It is a slippery slope, but at the end of the day if the CRTC makes its a condition of licence, you would probably see Rogers dumping the licences...

As long as the CRTC continues to allow sports sports and more sports on City TV, Rogers will never say good bye to the licences.
I'm pretty sure Rogers likes the idea of having extra space for sports when all the Rogers owned sports stations are full. 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

June 15, 2016 11:55 pm  #10

Radiowiz wrote:

Here2day wrote:

[
It is a slippery slope, but at the end of the day if the CRTC makes its a condition of licence, you would probably see Rogers dumping the licences...

As long as the CRTC continues to allow sports sports and more sports on City TV, Rogers will never say good bye to the licences.
I'm pretty sure Rogers likes the idea of having extra space for sports when all the Rogers owned sports stations are full. 

You're right, but I was referring to OMNI in that instance.