sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 13, 2016 11:31 pm  #1

New Voice On AM640

Interesting to see AM640 finally commission a new show for its daily talk roster. It's Tasha Kheiriddin, a former columnist with the National Post and once the head of the Canadian Taxpayers'  Federation. Her show airs weekdays from 1-2 PM, replacing the first hour of Jeff MacArthur, whose effort is now 60 minutes shorter. (I wonder if his early mornings on Global followed by another three hours on radio were a bit too much.)

It's been a while since Corus added anyone on a permanent basis to the line-up and whatever you think of Kheiriddin, at least it means there could be someone to fill-in when one of the hosts goes on vacation and the endless game of musical chairs begins, with Stafford going to either mornings or afternoons (and sometimes both in the same week!) and everyone else shifting around to accommodate that change. 

I always wondered why this station left itself with so few options in the event of an emergency. CFRB has tons of fill-in hosts when one of the regulars can't be there. When your only choice is to slip in someone who's normally a producer, you're leaving yourself a bit thin. Especially in the top market in Canada. 

I've actually heard
Kheiriddin before, and she's pretty good. I hope her show works out. 

Last edited by RadioActive (June 13, 2016 11:35 pm)

June 14, 2016 9:38 am  #2

Re: New Voice On AM640

http://www.640toronto.com/tasha-kheiriddin-bio/

Tasha Kheiriddin is one of Canada’s best-known writers and broadcasters.Prior to her arrival on AM640, Tasha – who is fluently bilingual – has produced, hosted, and appeared on radio and TV programs across the country, while also penning weekly columns for both the National Post newspaper and the online publication ipolitics.ca.Tasha’s work has been recognized with the Justicia Award for Excellence in Journalism from the Canadian Bar Association in 2003, Toastmasters’ Communicator of the Year Award in 2004, and the Economic Education Prize from the Montreal Economic Institute in 2012.In addition to her career in media, Tasha worked in law, politics, advocacy, and academia. Born in Montreal, Tasha graduated from McGill University in 1993. She practised litigation in Quebec before moving to Toronto to work as legislative assistant to the Attorney General of Ontario. During her university years, she also worked as a political assistant to Progressive Conservative cabinet ministers Barbara MacDougall and Bernard Valcourt, and served as President of the Progressive Conservative Youth Federation of Canada. In 2004 she became the Ontario director for the Canadian Taxpayers Federation, later returning to Quebec to serve as vice-president of the Montreal Economic Institute and then Quebec director of the Fraser Institute, while lecturing on conservative politics at McGill University.For the past seven years Tasha has made her home with her family in Whitby, Ontario. In addition to politics, she is passionate about children’s issues, including child care, education and kids with special needs.  Mother of one first-grader and step-mother of two teenagers, she is a volunteer board member with Resources for Exceptional Children and Youth, serving families and children with autism and mental health challenges in Durham region, as well as with the Society for Quality Education, which advocates for school choice and the improvement of public education. Tasha is also a member of the Council on Youth Electoral Engagement, which works to encourage young people to engage in the political process.

June 14, 2016 11:00 am  #3

It is no surprise that AM 640 is picking up people from National post.
Newstalk 1010 chose to hire people from Globe and mail, so why not?

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

June 14, 2016 8:07 pm  #4

Fantastic! Another meat puppet I have zero interest in hearing from!

June 14, 2016 8:37 pm  #5

I tuned in for a few minutes yesterday, and all I heard was John Tory.  I tuned out.
Somebody( Grilled Cheese?) let me know if it gets better.

I am Here, just not all there.

September 6, 2016 7:46 pm  #6

grilled.cheese wrote:

Will do.  I won't get a chance to listen until Thursday.  Hopefully the unwashed masses can wait that long for my official review. 

We're all still waiting. Was it everything you hoped for and more?