sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 14, 2022 1:01 pm  #1

What Does This Broadcast Deal Mean For Fans Of Toronto FC Soccer Club?

It probably means you'll have to pay to watch them in the only place they'll soon appear - online. Apple has snagged a deal that will see all future MLS games - which I assume includes Toronto FC - be carried exclusively in one spot: Apple TV.

What does this mean to the broadcasters that currently carry the games and how will fans of the team react? That, like the matches themselves, remains to be seen. 

According to a press release, Canadian teams involved will have their webcasts available in both French and English. The new deal with the streamer kicks off in 2023 and continues for an entire decade.

Apple and Major League Soccer to Present All MLS Matches Around the World for 10 Years, Beginning in 2023

June 14, 2022 4:14 pm  #2

Re: What Does This Broadcast Deal Mean For Fans Of Toronto FC Soccer Club?

Out of sight. Out of mind. Sort of like the EPL and UEFA not being on TSN or SN. Big mistake. 

June 15, 2022 1:34 am  #3

The wording on this is interesting.  Apple TV will be the only place where you can get every single game.  That doesn't mean that there won't be other places where you can get SOME games.  For many years MLB.TV was the only place you could get every single game, but you could still get games on TV.
DAZN is the only place in Canada where you can see every NFL game, but there are still some games on TSN and CTV.
Major League Soccer is looking for a TV partner in the US to show some games nationally.  I have seen that written in a few places.  

June 15, 2022 6:22 am  #4

I also found the wording somewhat ambiguous. But I kept getting drawn to the word "exclusive" and wondered whether that really means no games anywhere but Apple TV. 

To me soccer is like watching paint dry, so it won't affect me, but I can't help but consider the wisdom of potentially taking an entire league online only and off cable and regular TV. There's simply no way they'll get the same size audience and you know what they say - out of sight is out of mind. I think if it IS exclusive rights, the league will be the loser for ten very long years.

June 15, 2022 8:13 am  #5

The linked article provides a hint that some games could still appear on regular TV - but they will be far fewer than before once the deal kicks in.

"Apple’s deal with MLS is said to be structured in a way that linear national broadcasters can still negotiate to carry select matches, but each of those would be simulcast on Apple. There will be no territorially driven local broadcast blackouts."

Why MLS and Apple’s Streaming Deal Is a Game-Changer for the Sports Media Landscape

June 15, 2022 9:50 am  #6

Streaming now IS regular TV.

Anecdotally, I know more people who would be out of luck if something were to be only on cable vs. only on streaming. And I'm talking people in their 40s and 50s.