sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 10, 2022 4:22 pm  #1

The Cdn. Stn. That Only Broadcasts Play-By-Play Games - & Nothing Else

I'm not sure if there's another station quite like this one anywhere in Canada. It's called CFVZ-FM, a low powered outlet located in Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan. 

What's different about this tiny place is that it appears it's only on the air when what its licenced to broadcast is happening. I'm assuming from what I see of the CRTC rules, it's otherwise mostly silent. According to the Commission, the station, owned by Moose Jaw Tier 1 Hockey Inc., is bound by the following rules:

• The licensee shall use the station solely for the purpose of broadcasting the hockey games of the Moose Jaw Warriors and the baseball games of the Moose Jaw Millers, fastball games from Memorial Field, and selected Moose Jaw High School athletic events. This would include all pre and post game shows, and a one-hour noon-time program broadcast Monday to Friday related to the promotion of events and games of the hockey club
  • The licensee shall not broadcast musical selections, except as incidental background music.

I wonder how many remember a similar station near Toronto called CHEV. I believe it was on the so-called X-band at 1610 AM, and was only on the air when it broadcast junior hockey games and the odd amateur baseball match. It was a very odd "get" for DX-ers, since it was never there otherwise. 

It was finally forced to give up its frequency when the CRTC licenced CHHA, the Spanish language station that currently occupies the 1610 slot. 

As for CFVZ-FM - are there others like them anywhere in Canada? If so, I'd be curious to know where they're located and what (and when) they're allowed to broadcast.

June 10, 2022 6:25 pm  #2

Re: The Cdn. Stn. That Only Broadcasts Play-By-Play Games - & Nothing Else

Are you certain Dog River doesn't also have a similar station?

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

June 10, 2022 8:30 pm  #3

It seems to me there was a low-powered FM in Kingston that was used only to broadcast OHL Frontenacs games in the vicinity of the arena. No idea if it still exists.

June 10, 2022 8:32 pm  #4

It certainly is an unusual CRTC licence - a station that can only air for very limited hours and only with specific programming. I wonder if they're allowed sponsors and commercials?