sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 3, 2022 4:22 pm  #1

The Big 8 Turns 90

Broadcast Dialogue points out this week marked the 90th birthday of one of North America's most iconic radio stations, once known as The Big 8 - CKLW.

"This week, CKLW marked its milestone anniversary by playing old liners and newscasts, and inviting some former DJs and hosts on-air, including former Big 8 jock and retired AM800 CKWW Program Director Charlie O’Brien, former CKLW talk show host Wayne Stevens, and former Big 8 morning show host Dick Purtan."

Windsor’s AM800 CKLW celebrates 90 years

June 3, 2022 7:33 pm  #2

Re: The Big 8 Turns 90

RadioActive wrote:

Broadcast Dialogue points out this week marked the 90th birthday of one of North America's most iconic radio stations, once known as The Big 8 - CKLW.

"This week, CKLW marked its milestone anniversary by playing old liners and newscasts, and inviting some former DJs and hosts on-air, including former Big 8 jock and retired AM800 CKWW Program Director Charlie O’Brien, former CKLW talk show host Wayne Stevens, and former Big 8 morning show host Dick Puritan."

>> The Puritans were English Protestants in the 16th and 17th centuries who sought to purify the Church of England of Roman Catholic practices, maintaining that the Church of England had not been fully reformed and should become more Protestant. << (Wikipedia)

Dick Purtan was one of many wonderful morning men at CKLW.

June 3, 2022 8:15 pm  #3

Re: The Big 8 Turns 90

Good catch. That was from their copy, but I missed it. I believe they've since fixed it on their site, and I've corrected the first message, but left it in your "rebroadcast" so people can understand what you're referencing.

A scarlet letter for us Hester Prynnes!