sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 2, 2022 4:55 pm  #1

Hamilton Radio Ratings Show An Old Fave Is Still On Top

It used to be called K-Lite in Hamilton. It's now The Bounce 102.9 but either way, it's one of the most popular local stations in The Steel City. KX 94.7 gives it a run for the money.

On the other end of the spectrum, there used to be a very big oldies station called CKOC. I'm sure you've heard of it. Now you could rent a hall and get more people than it has listeners as BNN 1150. Even CHAM beats it.

The story in Broadcast Dialogue also has ratings for other cities, including Victoria and Halifax.

June 2, 2022 7:33 pm  #2

Re: Hamilton Radio Ratings Show An Old Fave Is Still On Top

The gamble of changing formats on the market's #1 station was successful.

June 2, 2022 8:04 pm  #3

I like KX947. Years ago, I was a volunteer at Cable 14 in Hamilton, and Jason Farr hosted one of the shows. He was asked one night what the number one station was, himself working in radio at the time, and he said K-Lite by far. And they have remained number one, but have been challenged since KX arrived with a country format, dumping their old Jazz format.

June 2, 2022 8:37 pm  #4

Brad wrote:

I like KX947. Years ago, I was a volunteer at Cable 14 in Hamilton, and Jason Farr hosted one of the shows. He was asked one night what the number one station was, himself working in radio at the time, and he said K-Lite by far. And they have remained number one, but have been challenged since KX arrived with a country format, dumping their old Jazz format.

I know I am a broken record on this, but someone in Toronto should move to a new country format.  Like KX 94.7 in Hamilton/Niagara, it would do much better than many people would think. CFNY is ripe for a change.  A country station in Toronto needs to be new country with a slick top 40 approach, have a sense of humour, and strong on air talent that loves the music. Country fans are radio listeners and tend to be very loyal to their station.      

June 2, 2022 9:27 pm  #5

For some reason, the list I posted left off The Grand. I honestly expected them to do a bit better. Here's a second shot at it with them in it. 

June 2, 2022 11:32 pm  #6

The Grand 92.9 signal only covers part of Hamilton Mountain, and often competes with WBUF from Buffalo.  Given this, I'd say they're doing pretty good.

June 3, 2022 10:47 am  #7

paterson1 wrote:

Brad wrote:

I know I am a broken record on this, but someone in Toronto should move to a new country format.  Like KX 94.7 in Hamilton/Niagara, it would do much better than many people would think. CFNY is ripe for a change.  A country station in Toronto needs to be new country with a slick top 40 approach, have a sense of humour, and strong on air talent that loves the music. Country fans are radio listeners and tend to be very loyal to their station.      

You know I agree in principle, but I think they'd be hesitant as the format's currently in a bit of a slump (Vancouver blip notwithstanding.) Long term though, I agree,

June 3, 2022 10:54 am  #8

RadioActive wrote:

For some reason, the list I posted left off The Grand. I honestly expected them to do a bit better. Here's a second shot at it with them in it. 

Does Lite 92 from Brantford show up in Hamilton numbers? Did rebranding and slight reformat from Jewel make a difference?

June 3, 2022 1:33 pm  #9

Yes, Lite 92 had a 4.4 share in Hamilton this past ratings with 32,800 listeners.  Down slightly from a year ago with 4.7.  In K/W they had a 5.7 share and 28,800 listeners, but didn't take part one year ago in the Kitchener ratings.   They did the rebrand mid June last year.  Brantford wasn't in the latest book.